Foraging Bonny Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SoloBoy

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2005
Liverpool
Im going rambling in Strathfillan next month and im just wondering if anybody knows of any luvely grub which will be around to forage.
I have never been here before so any tips or places to see would be much appreciated. ;)

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Soloboy,

I would recomend that you get a copy of Food for Free by Richard Maybe(sp), there is a section at the front that gives foraging info by months - I've found that this is a great wee resource. You have to remember that somethings are later to appear in Scotland, hopefully you'll get some more info from members who know the area.
All the best and enjoy your trip - its a lovely area.

Regards

JFW

SoloBoy

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2005
Liverpool
Cant wait JFW,it will be my first time up there.Really looking forward to it,will look for that book aswell,thanks mate :)

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Soloboy,

I'm assuming that the Strathfillan you are going to is by Crianlarich. This is on the route of the west highland way, there are some nice walks in the area and you should be looking out for some of the tinder fungus, you will also find that the wild garlic, ramsons, are coming up - well worth adding to stews, soups and salads. If you're lucky the sap of the birch will be rising and its always worthwhile tapping to fill a cup for a refreshing drink. Keep your eyes peeled for stag horns that were dropped last season, you may find some that are still in good condition.

Cheers

JFW

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
SoloBoy said:
Im going rambling in Strathfillan next month and im just wondering if anybody knows of any luvely grub which will be around to forage.
I have never been here before so any tips or places to see would be much appreciated. ;)
This looks like it should be right up your street :) I found it last year and it is ncely presented with lots of Scottish info.

NTFPs in Scotland

and specifically for seasonal gathering:

Gathering Calendar

and for fungi:

Wild mushrooms in Scotland

happy foraging ;)

SoloBoy

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2005
Liverpool
Absolute class,,just what ive been looking for,particularly the gathering calender.Everyne should see those links Thanks Si :)

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
My stock favourite at this time of year is a green-leaf stir fry...

Collect nettle leaves and other greens (whatever is out and about) - also try to find some ramsons and pignuts - 5-10 of each is a good amount. Chop up these and fry them lightly in a pan for a minute or two to get the flavours out, then add the leaves and just enough water to line the bottom of the pan and make sure its as hot as you can get it - the water boils off furiously and steams the leaves, and works to soften the pignuts a bit. When the water has all gone, tuck in!

Of course, you can add anything else to this you manage to find, depending on the time of year - wild herbs, mushrooms,nuts, game meats, berries etc, or anything else you bring with you - I tend to often add either oats or couscous/bulgar wheat from my pack to supplement it and give it some bulk (its worth cooking these first separately).

Hope you have a lot of fun on your trip!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE