For the swedish speaking people here

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Just saw a very interesting book about Fire and the sami art of fire making.
The writer worked on the book in 20 years, holding interviews with old sami and writing down about 4000 notes. Out of that he wrote a 1.5 kg heavy and 400 pages long book only about the "Art of fire making." Hot!!!!! :chill:

http://www.bokus.com/cgi-bin/more_book_info.cgi?ISBN=9127107507&pt=search_result

I am going to order the book for myself but please don't ask me to translate it to english :wink:

cheers
Abbe

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay :)
My eldest has a passing familiarity with Swedish and Finnish so of course I opened your post.
How about we just hope you'll post all the choice bits for those of us who aren't as good with languages as you are? :super:

I've been thinking about the differences between fat treated leathers/skins (rawhides?) and tanned hides, e.g. oak bark liquor......I don't know enough, time for some reading methinks.
:cup:

Toddy

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Toddy said:
Okay :)
My eldest has a passing familiarity with Swedish and Finnish so of course I opened your post.
How about we just hope you'll post all the choice bits for those of us who aren't as good with languages as you are? :super:

I've been thinking about the differences between fat treated leathers/skins (rawhides?) and tanned hides, e.g. oak bark liquor......I don't know enough, time for some reading methinks.
:cup:

Toddy

I think I will pick some of the sweet and new stuff and translate it and put it on my webpage in the crafts section.
He is handling one question I asked myself ,if it is possible to sleep over a fire and how to do it, lets see if I find more of the unusual stuff and I will translate it for you guys. But first I have to get the book and see if its any good. :wink:

cheers
Abbe

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
The sami's are very smart when it comes to firemaking on a stove. They take 4 small logs which is about 3-4 inches in diameter and tie them together in some way. One can use wire. Saw them flat on the top and place a few hexitabs in the middle. Light the hexitabs and soon they will light all 4 pieces of wood. One can put a pot on the flat top and it will soon boil and roast. :D

Apparantly spruce is best and far up north they have a special spruce which burns as good as kerosene they say. :) But I've seen this trick been done in the jungle with some coniferous jungle trees of some sort.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Just got back from a week in the cold and snowy norway and what do I find when I get back, the book "Elden". 400 pages of interesting reading in front of me, I will have to read pretty quick since I am going to have a lesson in fire next week.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Viking said:
Just got back from a week in the cold and snowy norway and what do I find when I get back, the book "Elden". 400 pages of interesting reading in front of me, I will have to read pretty quick since I am going to have a lesson in fire next week.

Lucky guy I am still waiting on bokus to send it to me :cry:
cheers
Abbe

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
And for those of us who cant speak or read swedish the pictures are 'kinda perty' too!! :nana:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE