Foolproof Homebrew recipe wanted

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Morning folks.

Does anyone have a foolproof homebrew recipe I could try. I've tried 2 off the shelf ones in cans and both have come out cloudy and yeasty.

I've left them for another week and they just seem to get worse rather than settle down.

Snozz

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Just bottled my 7th brew, Australian Pale Ale this time, not had a cloudy one yet. Might be best to figure out what went wrong before making another. Was everything thoroughly cleaned and sterilised? How long did you leave it after bottling?

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
I find that homebrew needs about 4 or 5 weeks to settle in the pressure keg. After settling, 40 pints of clear, non-yeasty beer.

Cheers

Martin-123

Jul 1, 2011
Essex
Might be best to figure out what went wrong before making another. Was everything thoroughly cleaned and sterilised? How long did you leave it after bottling?

I strongly agree with this. and suggest you follow the instructions to the letter. When I've done it (like this) I've always had good results. Good luck!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I find it best to do the initial fermentation in a bin and then transfer to primed bottles (well sterilised). Have made some awesome stuff this way.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
when i do mine i just bottle it and dont settle first, i do however leave it a few months on a "CONCREAT FLOOR" for the yeast and sediment to settle and compact, when opened poor slow and steady untill most of the liquid is in the glass, because if you stop it washes the sediment up and spoils the pint, always leave some liquid in the bottom before stopping the pooring....

hope you know what i mean?????

the reason i settle on a "CONCREAT FLOOR" is because it has less vibrations in it which helps the sediment settle, a wooden floor has enough to keep the beer cloudy....

maybe that helps...

regards...

chris.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
I've sterilised everything and use a pressure keg rather than bottles, although I may try a brew using bottles. I did do everything according to the instructions... will try again.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I use woodfordes kits, best I've tasted and closest to the real thing. Wilkos does them cheapest.

Sounds like you've got the process right, you just need as another poster says 'finings' you can buy a packet of finings or beer brute for about £1, it's either made of isinglass (fish guts) or a synthetic version. Before you bottle or rack you follow the instructions on the packet and you'll get a great clear beer. Real ale always has a little sediment though. I usually rack for 4-8 weeks before serving. I did a 5g batch for a party the other week and it was cloudy but everyone loved it and it was fully drunk by the 20 or so guests before the day was out. Commercial beers were left in it's wake!

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I've been homebrewing beer, wine and port for many years, and this year everything took so long to clear that I was forced to seek advice from my local homebrew shop. This year it seems the weather is playing havoc with lots of people's beer and fortified wines.
The answer is using Bentonite and finings together. Pour a bit of the "beer" into a jug, add a heaped teaspoon of the bentonite per gallon ( one and a half if really cloudy) add a bit more beer and stir to mix really really well. Add to the keg and stir until all is mixed (this make everything look much worse) but after 15 minutes things start to clear, leave for between two hours and a day, then do the same with the finings (decant a bit of the beer into a jug add finings, then return to the keg and give a bit of stir (not so much of a mix up more a distribute it). Leave over night, and then siphon clear beer into a clean keg. (You’ll probably have to re-gas the beer with co2) but it will be really clear and not a hint of yeast

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE