folkekniven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Any one know what the english meaning is?some of the other helle knives have english names,i was wondering if there is an english interpretation to this?
hellefolkekniven.jpg
[/IMG]
Also does anyone know what the pattern on the sheath is,or is it purely decorative?THANKS :)

ive not had the chance to road test it yet,it came razor sharp,but ive redone the edge and put my own edge on it... :confused: why because im left handed and i always feel i would do the edge differently to right handed people.
it didnt take long,i now have bald patches on my arm :) .the handle is some what flatish but feels very comfortable to hold,i would like to see though if a good grip could be maintained if my hands were wet as it feels very smooth,the sheath i feel needs a rivet or such like near the top as im worried the knife could cut through it.until i can get out and road test it i wont really know it capabilitys,but im sure it will cope with what i need it too do.....

Phil562 said:
Wolf, what do you think of your folkekniven ?
well finally got out to test it today.
starting of with feather sticks no problem there,shaves great.
batoning no problem,could even control how it went through stave.
hardwood whittling no probs there again.
i then batoned it into a standing tree stump so that it would get stuck,i needed to see how it would cope,it beared up to the wriggling i gave it to coax it out,i was a little worrried about the strength of the handle,but it seemed ok,getting the knife stuck isnt something i intend to do every day anyway ;)
on careful examination of the blade after all this there was no damage,held up well,and still was shaving sharp.
i also used it on ferrious rod,using birchbark shavings,this worked first time.
i was concerned with the handle being slippery,but when my hands became dirty the grip on the handle improved vastly,will have to wait to try skinning.
all in all a good all rounder.
hellefolkekniven.jpg
[/IMG]

namerchanger

Oct 18, 2005
How far did you put the knife into the tree? I love my Helles but have always wondered how well the handles would hold up to serious pressure. I did use my Odel on some whitetail bucks and a doe last weekend and I could not believe how well the edge held up.

Tim

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The Folkekniven is a sweet little knife although for some reason I never quite warmed up to the handle as much as I would like. However, the Polar is one of my all time favorite knives. I'd say in recent years I've worn that knife more than any that I own. It's very light and does all I need it to do around the house. I wear it mostly around home and don't even notice that I carry it. Unfortunately I heard that they are discontinuing it. Too bad. I really can't explain why I like that knife so much other than I find the handle very user friendly and like all Helles, it does cut. :D

folknivenpolar1b.jpg

ssj

Forager
Jan 7, 2004
Colorado, USA
I'll second that. The Polar is a great little knife.

Helle seems to be discontinuing a lot of its more traditional styles. I think that's a mistake, I'm not sure which market they are trying to tap into. It seems like the more modern styles are stuck somewhere between modern European/American styles and traditional styles.

Steve

Tim Cruff said:
How far did you put the knife into the tree? I love my Helles but have always wondered how well the handles would hold up to serious pressure. I did use my Odel on some whitetail bucks and a doe last weekend and I could not believe how well the edge held up.

Tim
it was quiet far into the tree,and yes i was worried about the handle,but as i said it was only a test,not something i will do everyday... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE