folding spade

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Nope.
Steer clear of the Glock aswell.

I would ecommend finding a surplus or similar, and simply get the good old trusty folding spade , army issue, 2WW.

Ive discarded of any other issue spade i have been given and i have bought, as most quite honestly in my opinion aren't up for any job. The old 2WW issue spade will act as a spade, as a trenchpike, as an axe, as a pan (bit poorly, but will do the job) etc. etc,

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Well I'm happy with my gerber,not had any problems with it.
I expect it to dig holes and it digs holes,it's a bit slow but I think thats me not going fast enough.
I'd recommend them as a great bit of kit.
(sorry DKW)

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Well I'm happy with my gerber,not had any problems with it.
I expect it to dig holes and it digs holes,it's a bit slow but I think thats me not going fast enough.
I'd recommend them as a great bit of kit.
(sorry DKW)

Quite allright sapper :)

I just have my issues with them. ;)

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
Nope.
Steer clear of the Glock aswell.

I would ecommend finding a surplus or similar, and simply get the good old trusty folding spade , army issue, 2WW.

Ive discarded of any other issue spade i have been given and i have bought, as most quite honestly in my opinion aren't up for any job. The old 2WW issue spade will act as a spade, as a trenchpike, as an axe, as a pan (bit poorly, but will do the job) etc. etc,

are those the ones with a wooden shaft, and a folding steel shovel head, and a pick head folding on the other side of the handle, secured in place with a collar on a screw thread?
spade head is the same size as the current issue. painted green, if that's any help.

It's just I've got a folding spade I aquired free somewhere along the line, and I have no idea where it origionated

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
are those the ones with a wooden shaft, and a folding steel shovel head, and a pick head folding on the other side of the handle, secured in place with a collar on a screw thread?
spade head is the same size as the current issue. painted green, if that's any help.

It's just I've got a folding spade I aquired free somewhere along the line, and I have no idea where it origionated

The one i am talking about (the 2WW issue one) Has wooden handle, folding steel spadehead lockable in 2 positions, by a steel collar on a thread. Nothing else.
Its sharpened to an edge on one side (i have sharpened it all the way around)

Current issue in UK i don't know anything about, but if you see any old warmovie where US or UK soldiers walk with their pack on, then the spade on their backs are the type i am referring to.

Bombproof piece of kit. Allthough a bit on the heavy side.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
The British ww2 issue entrenching tool was basically a pick on one end and a spade(small) on the other which came with a seperate shaft both of which where contained in a pear drop shaped canvas pouch, solid kit but not what id use for digging, the german late war folding shovel and the US shovel are more like whats described by DKW( I have a standard German fixed handle ww2 shovel which ive occasionally taken with me whilst out and about, but mainly use it to dig holes in the beach for the kids to play in beats the modern plastic crude hands down.)

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
This is probably the best of the type, which is why NATO selected it over and above any other.

I'd wanted one due to their quality, strength, versatility and design, however, I did check the reviews of those with far more professional experience with this tool than I was likely to give it.

Doug Ritter, founder of the Equipped To Survive Foundation rated this model above others, his review is on ETS.org.

I also read the review of a soldier whom was issued one, and had extensive experience with it, he was surprised that his issue model had been used be other intakes (7 years, IIRC) of new soldiers, yet was in excellent condition!

Other reviews further confirmed that this was wholly suited to my needs, and I bought from these excellent people at the best UK price, delivered next day.

http://www.shop4gerber.co.uk/foldspade.html

I think of mine as a belt worn JCB! (o:

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Again I will say go with the German one or if you can find one the old WW2 US ones. I have several of these and keep them in all our trucks and jeeps.
PS I live on a working ranch and can tell you about spades

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
The U.S. WWII issue model had a folding shovel that locked into position with a threaded collar in either of two positions, as has been stated previously, A later version works pretty much the same but has a pick that can be locked up into position as well. Exactly what the current issue is I cannot say, not familiar with the NATO model. I have two, keep one in my truck. They are good for small jobs. but they are heavy and I cant imagine lugging one around all day in addition to a gun, pack, etc. I can't conceive of anyone wanting to carry one into the woods. If I had to dig I would just take a cheap (read light) garden trowel with me.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
The U.S. WWII issue model had a folding shovel that locked into position with a threaded collar in either of two positions, as has been stated previously, A later version works pretty much the same but has a pick that can be locked up into position as well. Exactly what the current issue is I cannot say, not familiar with the NATO model. I have two, keep one in my truck. They are good for small jobs. but they are heavy and I cant imagine lugging one around all day in addition to a gun, pack, etc. I can't conceive of anyone wanting to carry one into the woods. If I had to dig I would just take a cheap (read light) garden trowel with me.

When I go hunting& camping I have 6 pack horses with me +
my ridding horse I do not Walk. as I go for 6 to 7 days And cover
100 to 200 miles in that time

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Other reviews further confirmed that this was wholly suited to my needs, and I bought from these excellent people at the best UK price, delivered next day.

http://www.shop4gerber.co.uk/foldspade.html

I think of mine as a belt worn JCB! (o:

I managed to pick one up, (a clone by the looks of the price difference), from these guys...

http://www.surreyfieldsports.co.uk/....html?osCsid=51ef5309145442f75e8b4e1be73d30ac

Certainly looks the same and feels very tough wearing, although not used yet. I've also thrown the packaging away, so can't tell the make.

No affinity, just thought they had some good prices.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I managed to pick one up, (a clone by the looks of the price difference), from these guys...

http://www.surreyfieldsports.co.uk/....html?osCsid=51ef5309145442f75e8b4e1be73d30ac

Certainly looks the same and feels very tough wearing, although not used yet. I've also thrown the packaging away, so can't tell the make.

No affinity, just thought they had some good prices.

That will probably be the Outwell Folding Shovel, a good copy. I saw one at Cotswold Outdoor after I got my Gerber, and was quite impressed, especially as it had the design features of the Gerber, for about ten quid.

Materials and construction looked good, and it even came with a copy of the belt sheath.

Don't forget that the spade can be locked at different angles, depending on the task. Enjoy your new kit! (o:

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Yes, I've been messing about with it. The idea is that it will live in the car with some other stuff I've been thinking about.

The one from Surrey Field Sports only came with a mesh draw bag, no sheath unfortunately.

I wouldn't touch the copies of the NATO, or mil issue spades with a barge pole. I bought one as it was only a fiver when I was doing the dyking and it lasted about 2 uses! I then bought an East German one and the handle snapped the first time i used it like a pick...:rolleyes: I've got strong arms but that is crazy! I then spent £15 on a new uk issue one and never looked back!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE