Folding saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

theorsmeister

What is the best folding saw, for efficiency, cost and durablitly.

Should i go out and get a laplander like mears has got, or is a Spear and Jackson good,

Any thoughts would be much appreciated,

cheers!!

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
the laplander is tried and tested and locks both closed and open which is exactly what you need in a saw for safety reasons, you dont want it opening in your pack so if you reach inside it bites you or rips your sleeping bag :( , its a quality bit of kit which will last you a life time if looked after and used correctly.Id say spend the extra ;)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Other than the laplander, I'm not familiar with the saws you mentioned, but I've tried quite a few different saws like the laplander and I would say that you can't go wrong with the laplander. I've tried several saw blades made for that saw (BAHCO saws in general) and I think the blade that comes with the Laplander is really the best one for bushcraft. However, if you've never tried a Sawvivor, it is well worth looking at.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've found the spear and jackson is useless and breaks easy...not to mention massive!!! I gave it to my dad for his garden the day after I bought it to try it out.

The Laplanders are very good but I preger my Gerber (with it's little pouch and extra blades and included bone blade) and as PW says they must lock open and closed (the gerber does too)....but that's just me.

There's several other types people use ranging from B&Q home brand to some found in Aldi's and other on amazon...

Use the SEARCH function on here to look up the old posts about folding saws Mate.

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
bambodoggy said:
The Laplanders are very good but I preger my Gerber (with it's little pouch and extra blades and included bone blade) and as PW says they must lock open and closed (the gerber does too)....but that's just me.

I agree, the Gerber's are very good. Not the old gerber folding saw but the new ones with the Japanese style blades. I used that bone saw this year when I butchered my deer and it worked excellent. Very good choice.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i got a wilkinson sword one the other week. the blade withdraws into the handle by unscrewing a knurled knob on the side. much like a craft knife. it seems quite good.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Here's a pic of the Gerber:

gerberbonesaw1b.jpg

Graham, have you used that saw hard yet? I have one that is similar and I found that the thumbscrew wants to loosen under heavy use. Could be just mine.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
it's been used fairly hard and i've not had any problems. the end of the track the knob runs along is recessed so the screw has to become quite loose for the blade to collapse (and if it does it slides back into the handle with no missing fingers :) )

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hoodoo said:
I agree, the Gerber's are very good. Not the old gerber folding saw but the new ones with the Japanese style blades. I used that bone saw this year when I butchered my deer and it worked excellent. Very good choice.

Thanks Mate.....

Yep, that's the same as mine :D

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
I have a laplander and although I've not tried any others I am very happy with it. It is light and as mentioned has saftey features, The whole shape of the handle feel's really good...I use mine as a tree pruner whilst gardening more than I have in the bush lol but no complaints here. Not to expensive either

Booosh

T

theorsmeister

Thanks for all the great advice,

i am a little skint atm, so I am gonna go for the gerber,
good make any way.

Cheers lads!!

bambodoggy said:
I've found the spear and jackson is useless and breaks easy...not to mention massive!!! I gave it to my dad for his garden the day after I bought it to try it out.

There's several other types people use ranging from B&Q home brand to some found in Aldi's and other on amazon...

Use the SEARCH function on here to look up the old posts about folding saws Mate.

Cheers,

Bam. :D
How on earth did you break one!!! :eek: I've had one that I bought for £3.50 from a shop down the road from me last year, it locks closed as well as open, has a nice rubbery grip and has put up with massive amounts of abuse since I bought it up to and including cutting through some seasoned oak rafters in a garden shed. Took me a while but it got there in the end :D

spamel said:
Found Spears and jackson folding saws on ebay. If you have read my other posts, you will realise that I am scanning ebay for bushcraft kit, just in case anyone is finding it difficult to find anything cheaply.

Spears and Jackson folding saw
That's a bugger, who ever's selling these bought them for £3.50 in a shop called In-Excess just down the road from where I work as that is exactly the same as mine. The postage is about right however as I got a couple of these for people and posted them out.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
How is yours fairing MBM? Mine is still going strong, it hasn't bluntened at all and seems very sturdy. I need to get a bit more work out of it though, I'm not getting out as often as I'd like.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I got a £5 one from the Hardware store. It's good, but the blade bends a bit (perhaps I need to improve technique!) and it doesn't lock in "off position" (cord/rubber band solves this).

The cheapo ones aren't always a bargain! :s.

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
Hoodoo said:
I found that the thumbscrew wants to loosen under heavy use. Could be just mine.

Might be a daft idea as I am not familiar with this tool but...
To prevent screws coming undone in plugs when prepping lights for rock & roll touring rigs we used to apply a tiny amount of nail varvish to the thread of the screw.
This was enough to 'glue' the screw sufficiently so that it didn't work loose but unlike proper glue you could undo it when you wanted to.
If the screw is just a friction device for the hinge it might be worth a go.

I would recommend boots no7 african violet :)

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Hi,

I don't know if there's an Aldi in England but once/twice a year they sell also folding saws and I've bought one a year ago and have used it extensively sawing wood up to 6" trunk diameter, live wood as well as dead wood and it performed ans still performs perfectly.
The handle is very secure, rubbery center and the folding saw securely locks when fully open and when closed.

The best part is it cost less then 3 British pounds and a spare blade which included a free handle ;) also less then 3 BP ;)

Lidl also has a folding saw sometimes but these although OK for the same amount of money are less well finished and don't feel as good in your hand. The Aldi one has the German TUV "security tested" label.

Still less the 3 BP is such a good price compared to the Laplander that you can't go wrong with one.

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

spamel said:
How is yours fairing MBM? Mine is still going strong, it hasn't bluntened at all and seems very sturdy. I need to get a bit more work out of it though, I'm not getting out as often as I'd like.
I bought my first two last summer. I figured at the price of £3.50 each, I'd buy two because they probably wouldn't last that long. Well, the first one I opened has been abused for the last year, cutting branches way in excess of 3.5", even cutting up some seasoned oak posts which took some time, but didn't seem to blunt the teeth at all. I sent my spare out to someone this summer, and then ended up buying another one anyway because at £3.50, it seemed daft not to :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE