Folding Saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Never seen one like that ... only Bahco and Wilkinson Sword ones ...

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
It's not the exact one i'm planning to get. But they look identical. The one i think of getting is 10£. :wink:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Nice and cheap! that's about what I paid for my little gerber one... the saw blade on mine slides out of the handle rather than swinging out. any idea what the pro's and con's of each type are?

TheViking, do you have a link to the one you're buying so I may feed my addiction when I get paid? or are you going to buy from a real shop :yikes:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
The design in your picture is fairly generic Andy, there are a good few companies who make folding saws with that metal hook and loop locking mechanism.

I have seen others quite similar to it but not used them.

I've got one of the gerber / fiskars / wilkinson sword versions where the blade slides into the handle. Same price at about £10. I'm impressed at how thick a tree trunk it will go through and like the deep aggressive tooth pattern, but have one criticism - the screw clamp comes undone too easily in use.

I recently traded upto a laplander becuase of the better reviews when it came down in price to £17 through Amazon.co.uk, but haven't used it yet. The WS gets demoted to the garden shed and pruning jobs.

Cheers

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
The Viking, the saw style like the one pictured, if I am right, uses a wire hooked up to a camming binder to lock up the blade. Some of these types (cheao style) had the wire binder stretch and loosen as you were sawing wood so be careful that it is a sturdy design and sturdily fabricated, no need to have one collaspse on you.
just a thought

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
the reson the bahco one is most popular design is thet its lock as described by Carcajou Garou is a better design and secondly and most importantly.. becuse not only does it lock in the open possition.. but also becuse it locks on the closed possition, this makes it much safer(which so far as i can see the one shown does not).. for this reason i would recoment the bahco or one of a similar design over the one shown.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
There is also some variability in the teeth. I gave the laplander a good workout several weeks ago and was very impressed with it. I've been using a nearly identical saw for years (originally it was made by Sandvik) but I've found that my old Sandvik (longer teeth) is better for seasoned wood. The laplander seems to be a tad better for green in that the the shorter teeth do not seem to clog as readily.

I also have a Fiskars where the blade slides into the handle but I haven't tried it yet. Looks like a nice, compact unit.

I've seen similar saws like th one pictured but I've never tried them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think that model here in the states is sold as the Sierra saw but I'm not sure because there are quite a few around like that, all sold under different names.

{edited to change dyslexic nonsense :?: }

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Well it looks like it has the "good" locking system.. but the teeth on the blade look quite small.. cant really tell from that picture!

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
It's a Bahco 396-HP ... looks an awful lot like the Laplander I have (except the colour).

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
That orange and black BAHCO is exactly the one I was talking about. I've used it for years, since around 94. Back then it just said Sandvik on it.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
cheap saw can be good too. My cheap ( € 3,49 ) folding saw from aldi, locks both in closed and open position. And is suprisingly good in sawing. And because it is so cheap you won't mind if you loose it or brake it. ( i haven't broken my yet )

PC2K said:
cheap saw can be good too. My cheap ( € 3,49 ) folding saw from aldi, locks both in closed and open position. And is suprisingly good in sawing. And because it is so cheap you won't mind if you loose it or brake it. ( i haven't broken my yet )

Yep, I got a Spear & Jackson folding pruning saw for £3 from In Excess in Poole, slices through large boughs with ease.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE