Folding Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
I spent the best part of today making a friction folding knife following the tutorial on British blades.
I have almost finished it , and I am just waiting for the glue to dry, and then I will sand it down, rivet and polish it, and I will do that tomorrow. I will hopefully be able to post pictures as well. :) :D

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
Sorry, My camera died and I had to charge the batteries. Here it is.
Its a little smaller than the initial design, and the scales are made from heart of yew, with a walnut spine. I have attached some pics, one comparing it to my Woodlore style knife for size.

Attachments

• IMGP1562.JPG
    IMGP1562.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMGP1563.JPG
    IMGP1563.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMGP1564.JPG
    IMGP1564.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMGP1561.JPG
    IMGP1561.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 100

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
If a member of your family offers to help you with an angle grinder to make the riveting easier say no. :banghead:
Also, Being left-handed, I designed it to be left-hand one-handed opening, but I glued the scales on the wrong way round, so I had to knock the bushing through the blade, which made it rather too right handed for me. :rolleyes:
I would also like to have filed the bevels to be deeper, as it is diffucult to use with the file being so thick. :rolleyes:
In addition, my 'mainstream bushcraft' woodlore, I'll have you know, is a custom made present from my mum! :rant: ;) It even has my name on it.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
Actually, I don't suppose anyone here makes folding knives to a higher standard than me :eek: ;) , but I have a few ideas for a project. Please PM me if you are interested. :) :) :)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I've just taken an old file out of the ashes of a firepit and am marking it up for a folder following your example. It is pretty thick so it'll be a bit of a chunky knife, but should be good practice.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
And finally got round to putting it together, not a pretty knife :eek: , but it was fun making the bits from stuff lying round the shed. Aluminium sides, nails fro pins and the old file for blade and spacer. Not as heavy as I thought it would be, but chunky at 5mm thick blade..
knife1-1.jpg
[/IMG]

knife2.jpg
[/IMG]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE