Folding Firebox Stove Video Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi All

I was asked if id do a review of this stove when it arrived so spent today having a play with it and filming what i saw. Im a big fan. One or two minor irritations but nothing major.

The only thing i would add is i think i had the trangia a bit low down from the pot in the Meths burn test. I also didnt note that it is top feed rather than side feed but i prefer this as you get more fuel in there. It will happly cook your tea or brekkie on one fill.

The most impressive thing for me was how well it burned pellets and there was pretty much zero ash left at the end. Im sure it will be fine with twigs and didnt see the need to test it this way.

I went on a bit so its 4 videos

Its available from www.foldingfirebox.com over the pond. I have no affiliation but am a very satisfied consumer so far

[video=youtube_share;ollYQv13ack]http://youtu.be/ollYQv13ack[/video]
[video=youtube_share;u4pLmHzShpE]http://youtu.be/u4pLmHzShpE[/video]
[video=youtube_share;m0Cu_xKOUXw]http://youtu.be/m0Cu_xKOUXw[/video]
[video=youtube_share;lCb4P2tcXps]http://youtu.be/lCb4P2tcXps[/video]

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks for the in-depth testing.

Hope you enjoy your new stove.

Look forward to seeing it at Rough Close. :)

Last edited:
Great review!

I bought one of these recently and you echo my thoughts exactly, namely:

An extra set of skewers (or "firesticks" as they call them) are essential for maximum flexibility and should really be included as standard.

It's at it's best as a wood burner - it's a bit too ventilated to act as an effective windscreen for an alcohol stove on windy days. I use a foil windscreen wrapped around the inside, which works well with my tatonka meths burner (I use an outwell kettle sat on the top, with the wind damper up, so I don't have the problem with extinguishing the stove. When using wood, I pack it tight and vertically and light from the top down. That way the fire lasts for ages and you end up with some nice coals for grilling/ simmering.

A big minus for some will be the weight - 2lb isn't exactly lightweight, but it is bomb and warp proof.

I'd also recommend the boil and grill plates that are optional extras. The boil plate is designed for those GSI glacier type SS mugs (the sort that fit on the base of 32 oz Nalgene bottles) and works really well. The grill plate is great for when you're left with the coals, fancy a bacon sarnie and can't be bothered to dirty up your frying pan.

Incidentally, I'm sure you've found this out by now, but if you start to open the stove, then the ash pan, just pops off.

Like you, I'm very happy with it. It's so versatile I even carry the weight on day hikes now! It's a well thought out product, the price is right and they're a great company to deal with.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
yea, i really wish id gone for the optional kit now with the extras. ive also discovered you can flip the ash pan onto the top and use as a hot plate too. There is a video on the tube of someone doing a cheese toastie on it lol

yea, i really wish id gone for the optional kit now with the extras. ive also discovered you can flip the ash pan onto the top and use as a hot plate too. There is a video on the tube of someone doing a cheese toastie on it lol
I have to admit, Paul, that I went for the whole kit and caboodle - including the frying pan, nalgene bottle and olicamp mug - plus the extra set of fire sticks. I've recently left the forces after 26 years, and whilst the 58 pattern water bottle and crusader mug are great pieces of kit, I'm rebelling against anything that feels like a busman's holiday to me. So I was after the 32 oz Nalgene and fitted mug anyway. The Olicamp mug is virtually identical to the GSI glacier mug, except it's got fluid oz graduations and is polished SS (easier cleaning) - I believe Tatonka do a very similar mug. Anyway, the boil plate is designed for just such a mug and is very effective - fast boil, relatively clean mug and cool handles.

I saw the video where he flipped the ash pan for a hot plate and tried it out myself for cheese and onion toasties - lots of sticking - butter the outside of the bread first! The ventilated grill plate is much more effective and also does (single) burgers, sausages and the like.

I was a bit sceptical about the fry pan (a GSI square job), at first as it's non stick (I prefer naked SS), but I found that, with a wooden spatula, it's perfect for a full english for two (my piece de resistance here in France) - the bonus being that the stove and it's pouch fit neatly into the pan taking up not much extra space.

In short, and to add to your excellent video review, I would say that the accessories are well worth the extra cash as they complete the stove.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Reminds me of the 4 panel stove that was posted on here a few weeks ago, i passed a comment then that if you gave it some hinges you wouldn't lose the panels and this comes along......hope these buggers didn't nick my suggestion :lmao:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I have to admit, Paul, that I went for the whole kit and caboodle - including the frying pan, nalgene bottle and olicamp mug - plus the extra set of fire sticks. I've recently left the forces after 26 years, and whilst the 58 pattern water bottle and crusader mug are great pieces of kit, I'm rebelling against anything that feels like a busman's holiday to me. So I was after the 32 oz Nalgene and fitted mug anyway. The Olicamp mug is virtually identical to the GSI glacier mug, except it's got fluid oz graduations and is polished SS (easier cleaning) - I believe Tatonka do a very similar mug. Anyway, the boil plate is designed for just such a mug and is very effective - fast boil, relatively clean mug and cool handles.

I saw the video where he flipped the ash pan for a hot plate and tried it out myself for cheese and onion toasties - lots of sticking - butter the outside of the bread first! The ventilated grill plate is much more effective and also does (single) burgers, sausages and the like.

I was a bit sceptical about the fry pan (a GSI square job), at first as it's non stick (I prefer naked SS), but I found that, with a wooden spatula, it's perfect for a full english for two (my piece de resistance here in France) - the bonus being that the stove and it's pouch fit neatly into the pan taking up not much extra space.

In short, and to add to your excellent video review, I would say that the accessories are well worth the extra cash as they complete the stove.

Cheers Fin. Im doffo going to ask them about the cost of topping up to the delux kit. Its going to have to wait till the end of the month though as my wife will flip if any more kit arrives any time soon.

Lister, i think its been around for quite a while

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Great review mate, cheers, I have been waiting for this since you sadi about buying one!!
Looks like a great bt of kit tbh!!
Cheers
Steve

For me, and this is just my humble opinion, this is The Daddy of all wood burning, multi-fuel, multi option stoves you can buy. I wont slate the other types of stove on the market as they all do a job, and they do it reasonably well, however they all also, again in my opinion, have major flaws with them. Now I accept that everyone is different, eveyone has different requirements, and everyones expectations vary according to skill levels, skill sets, environment, terrain, load carrying capacity and a whole host of other things, its just that, this Folding Firebox seems to be less affected by all the limitations that prohibit the other stoves on the market from being in the same league as this one.

This stovefolds down flat with all pieces fitting together beautifully so that nothing is loose and able to wriggle its way out of a pack etc. The stove itself is hinged with all parts folding together with ease allowing for one handed operation, where as most other stoves require the use of two hands to put together. This stove comes with two fire sticks, where as other brands require you to have your own steel tent pegs, a small point I know but a point all the same. This stove can be picked up and moved around if necessary using the fire sticks, other stoves cant. Other stoves may burn more efficiently by claiming the woodgas effect makes a huge difference in fuel efficiency, but they are limited in the ways you can use different fuels, and are certainly limited in the way they pack down!

Other major packaway brands use thinner guage steel and actually state on there website that consumers are to expect warping! This stove doesnt warp! I dont expect my other equipment to start changing in shape and being affected by the forces of nature that I expose them to, so I dont expect my stove to either! It feels bomb proof in the hand! Yes its a little bit heavier than other stoves but I am not an ultra mega super duper light weight backpacker, im a big strong boy that can carry a small amount of extra weight. I put up with a 2lb axe head dont I? I put up with a wool blanket instead of an ultra modern man made fibre light as a feather sleeping bag dont I? So I can defnitely handle a few extra grams weight for this stove!

I have spent a great deal of time looking at, testing, and examining the merits of the vast majority of this type of stove out there on the market, and for my money, which incidentally is a significant amount less than the other stoves on the market, this Folding Firebox is the most versatile, packable, adaptable, effective, and user friendly stove I can find.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I agree but the base plate in mine did warp :D. I must confess this was when i was using the chimney and pellets and creating a proper inferno but it still all folded back up with no problems after id bent it back a bit. Ive had no bother since using it just with wood.

Nice review, thats what the Honey stove should have been.

Jeez! Rik!

I wait over a month for your comments on a stove review - and that's all you've got to say?!!!

Seriously, I think you're right in that Bob at BPLUK has competition in the wood burning camp stove market. The titanium model of the honey is a welcome addition, and it's still a very versatile stove - but - I would suggest he looks into hinged panels and addresses the warping issues to keep up.

BPLUK always keeps a foot in the ultralight market and an ultra light wood burner which pleases everyone, continues to be the holy grail methinks.

keith alan

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 4, 2011
midlands
I will do a report on the Woodland edge firebox soon as I have just acquired one and they are as rare as hens teeth .

I also have a folding firebox and i agree that it is as excelent stove as it served me well on Dartmoor 10 days ago in the rain and wind its far better than building an open fire in bad conditions .

As I am off boating on Friday so I hope to do the evaluation of the Woodland Edge Firebox over the long weekend but I know I will not be disappointed.

SORRY a change of plans the boating went well with the new engine, but the Evaluation of the Woodland Edge stove will be on the week starting 12th August to the 18th ,

so look in after the 18th

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
excellent review Paul. looks a really nice piece f kit.
I think the only thing that would give me a problem would be the weight and lack of sideloading. as for claims that ts competitors warp, they clearly havent seen the Emberlit! Of the 2, I still think I'd go for the Emberlit _ the ti version only weighs 6 oz, the ss version about double.I can live with the 30 seconds it takes to put together!

Also just found out that you can use the emberlit body minus the base to fit over the vital stove to give much more volum, and which ive just ordered over here

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE