Folding Bowsaw

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Having noticed this folding bowsaw again while browsing for something else http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/503-Woodlore-Folding-Buck-Saw/ I recently ordered a blade http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_P...-Raker-Tooth-Hard-Point-Bowsaw-Blade-24-inch/ with a view to using out and about with a suitable flexible hazel rod or similar for a handle fashioned when needed.

Decided to have a go instead though at my own, slightly cheaper, proper version :)

Used some oak floorboard that was knocking around in the workshop, so slightly on the heavy side compared to beech or ash or cherry, but didn't have suitable stock to hand in those. Took a bit of trial and error to get the pivot arrangements right for the blade, but got there in the end.

Just had a wipe with danish oil so far, will probably give another couple, and tried it out, works very well indeed :) Might swap the wing nuts for a lower profile nut to give less to catch when packing, and might do one or two things differently if I was making another, but very pleased with it for a first attempt !

Cheers, Paul

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Great work! Really good finish!

I must confess to having the woodlore one, great saw, it was a present so I didn't have to pay for it (thank goodness at the price) but as Dwardo says, they put a laplander to shame :).

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Nice work on the buck saw, now you will have to make up the canvas case.

Topknot

I could do with making a tool roll for my spoon knives too, not sure where to get some decent suitable canvas from though ? Haven't tried googling yet though, probably ought to have a go :)

Cheers, Paul

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Found a couple of suppliers of heavyweight canvas on ebay, not too pricey, but not sure I can be bothered getting all the right thread and needles and stuff as well and probably not looking great after, might just chuck it in an old thermarest type long thin stuff sack for now !

I noticed that the raker style blade I fitted is supposed to be for wet wood, whereas I intended the saw for cutting up dry/dead wood for firewood, so might need to get a different blade for that, although seemed to work okay on 3" dry maple branches when I tried it....

Cheers, Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE