Folders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
My outdoors knife with its 1/4" thick blade isn't great at preparing game, so I carry a SAK Farmer or Wenger Ranger 55 with me for those sorts of tasks.

I grew out of the 'one knife does all' vibe 20 years ago.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Almost always have my SAK climbers knife on me when I'm out as it comes in handy with so many tasks. I want to get a svord peasant though and mod it so its legal though as I think that'd be a better bet for me.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Swiss army huntsman or a " ghille" lock knife sometimes both because they are useful and good quality.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I never take a fixed blade outside, so my pocket knife 'does it all'.

If i were to take a fixed blade, I'd make sure I had something more useful (imo) like a sak huntsman with me too.

I don't see a genuine need for me personally to carry a fixed blade knife outside of my home so I never bother, especially when my folding knvies are so capable of any task I put them to. :)

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
After many years of carrying lots of different folders from cheap to very expensive, the one that now sits in my pocket all the time is a SAK farmer . Its a great versatile knife

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
For a full on bushcraft experience (you know the ones that never seem to actually happen any where near as much as you plan to) then from now on I shall be carrying my new Wenger 55 as my back up folder. For mooching about on or near green stuff I tend to just carry my SAK Handyman and no fixed blade.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I carry a Svord Peasant Mini. Mainly because my fixed blade stays in my bag until I'm properly off the beaten track, but I still want a little EDC in my pocket when on footpaths etc. I've also recently bought a Victorinox Solo. It's a Swiss Army Knife without the Swiss ;) Longer blade too, but still UK EDC legal.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I actually carry a fixed blade knife when I'm out and about that is about the same length as the largest folder that I have, which is a Buck. But I really never seem to use it for much of anything. But my thoughts continue to evolve in all sorts of directions. After thinking about exactly what I really use a knife for, anywhere, I concluded that I use them to peel things and to cut carpeting. The Buck cuts the carpeting the best. Then, after acquiring a recently made (meaning it isn't as old as I am) French marmite de campement boiler, I started experimenting with field cooking, army style. That included peeling things and for that, the smaller folders worked the best and such combination knives that I have were also perfectly satisfactory. But I wouldn't say that for any of my fixed blade knives nor for a serrated-blade regular kitchen knife acquired with that in mind. So basically, I found it hard to pick a single knife for everything but I do believe that large folding knives are just as good as a fixed blade. That is, unless you think a fixed blade knife should be able to do what a hand axe can do.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
UKPK is always on my belt and for work I always have my Leatherman Wave on the otherside.....as a pocket carry, SAK Farmer. Rarely carry a fixed blade but if I do it's my Dave Budd or WS Woodlore :)

Oh, and reason....because they're good quality and work for me!

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
My fixed blades are all for carving, including my Mora companion. At work, a SAK - don't know what it's called, but it's basically a wine waiter's knife. Away from home, a svord peasant mini.

Cheers,
Leif

Mr Adoby

Forager
Sep 6, 2008
The woods, Småland, Sweden
I always carry a folder in a pocket. A small SAK, an EKA 88, 8 or 10. Or something similar.

I never carry a fixed blade on my belt, but in or on my pack. And most likely a stainless Mora Companion, combined with either a Fällkniven A1, WM1 or F1. As well as an axe and a bow saw. Around camp I often carry the WM1 as a necker. At home I have some triflex and carbon steel Moras for carving, but they stay at home in the tool shed, near the WD40.

I never use a knife with a firesteel. I use the scraper that came with the firesteel. And only as a backup if I have trouble with my matches or lighter.

Last edited:

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Ontario RAT 1 is my big locking folder and an excellent knife at a very good price. I have a number of non locking SAK's and 1 locking, one of them is always in my pocket and most of the time it's the RAT 1. Any trip to the woods I always have either my RM/SWC or my Ka-bar BK2. Personally I much prefer a fixed blade when on a camp or a day out in the woods.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
I tend to carry either my svord mini peasant, opinel 8 or normark super swede as a backup. 9 times out of ten it'll be the svord just cos it's legal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE