Fly Fishing Lessons???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Not quite sure where to post this, so here will do!

Righto, I am trying to find someone who can give me some basic fly casting tuition, even in a field if necessary. I have some kit which is supposedly good for light sal****er and coarse and also of course larger trout, but it is the salt and coarse I want. Trouble is I need help casting! It's not as easy as it looks, is it? i got the theory, but it just ain't happening..

I'm based in Islington, but work and travel around West London and Slough ish area, and also the Bournemouth area, but if anyone is offering anywhere near, then I'll obviously travel! I don't really want to travel to a commercial trout setup as it will cost the earth, it's mainly the casting that I need help with, the rest I'll make up as i go along....

Just noticed I can't write 's a l t w a t e r' ? Does nanny have a dictionary that this can be amended to?

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Spacemonkey said:
. I have some kit which is supposedly good for light sal****er and coarse and also of course larger trout,
That's a great usage of the automatic censorship in these programmes!!! I guess you mean "salt-water? It's amazing how you have to get round these bots :D

Just as well you don't live in S****horpe!!!

Martin

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
what is the problem, quite commonly it's the wrist breaking on the backward cast which allows the line to fall below the horizontal and prevents the rod from loading. A way to cur this is to get a wrist sweat band and push the butt of the rod into this, this prevents wrist break, only take the rod back to the 12 o'clock position and only lower to the 10 o'clock position.
Also make sure the rod and line are matched.
To start off lay the line out in front of you, about 7-8 yards should do to start. Lift the rod to 12 oclock position by raising the forearm sharply up, the line should then shoot out behind, turn your head and look to see when the line is straight behind then move your arm to the 10 oclock position, the line should shoot forward in a straight line. The action should be like hammering a nail into the wall.
jack Simpson of Simpsons of Turnford used to give free pre season lessons at Turnford, don't know if he still does but might be worth a call.
Good Luck

ssj

Forager
Jan 7, 2004
Colorado, USA
There's no substitute for on hands instruction. Fly shops and fishing shops in your area will be a good place to find an instructor. In the US, the Federation of Flyfishers (and other organizations) has an instructor accreditation program that will insure you get quality instruction. That will probably save you effort in the long run. You might look for the UK equivalent of the Federation. If you're serious about salt water fly fishing, learn to double haul. It is an advanced tecnique but it makes a significant difference in distance casting and line handling skills. You will get as much out of fly casting as you put into it. Practice.
Steve

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Check out your local fishing tackle shop, or go and reccie some waters and have a chat to the guys there.

Its all about timing and wrist action :D

If you practice away from the water, make sure you still use a leader and tie on a bit of fluff for presentation.

Oh, and wear a hat and some glasses, 'cause a gold head in the back the bonce or the eye is a bummer.

Hope that helps

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Spacemonkey said:
Righto, I am trying to find someone who can give me some basic fly casting tuition, even in a field if necessary.
It's not as easy as it looks, is it? i got the theory, but it just ain't happening..

No, it ain't :eek:

A couple of hours with a pro tutor will see you right.

Or my dad :D , but he lives near Preston, when he's not in France.

The Association of Professional Game Angling Instructors (APGAI) is your friend.

Trout and Salmon carries ads for instructors. APGAI accredited ones should be fine.

If you insist on learning from references, I'm told Joan Wulff's vids are good...

Jim.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Hello all,
This is my first post, although I've been enjoying reading through all the old posts for a couple of weeks now having been pointed here by Pappa and Bushpig. What a lovely place you have here!

Spacemonkey, if you're still looking for tuition, I can give you some pointers - bit rusty myself but happy to lend a hand. I used to teach fly fishing at a fishery so I've a bit of experience in instruction.
I'm in Essex, so we could meet up somewhere in London - a park or a common with few trees and no pylons is probably the best place. Water would probably be more of a hindrance for your first go or two!

Do you have Specific Fly fishing gear, or are you trying with a coarse/spinning rod? I doubt you'll have much luck there, as a lot of the technique relies on the design/flex the rod and the weight of the special Fly line. I can bring mine along which is capable, but not Gucci!

Let me know if you're interested (and if anyone else wants to come along and have a go that's cool too :) )

Cheers,
Neil

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Spacemonkey,
I know that it won't help you now, but there was a terrific demonstration at the Royal Welsh Show on tuesday. The guy was casting trout flies out to 25/30 yards and then progressed to the "Double handed salmon rod" slightly more distance until he showed the double haul method - the "fly" passed over the pond, over the crowd line and landed about five yards further on, a total of near 60 yards I recon. His entire demo seemed to be slow and graceful with no great rush to get things done - they just happened when he wanted them to.

Keep asking around, I'm sure someone will be able to give you some pointers.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Thanks for all the advice guys. I went along to a meeting with some salt water fly fishing guys down in Darzet and they got me casting to a fashion. As the evening progressed I scored a few decent casts, but I had learned the basics, just needed more practice. Treid a session in the fields and can now reliably hit 15 metres, so now I need to learn the advanced stuff-double hauling. The guys were all double hauling and could knock out easily to 40 metres I'd say, sometimes more. We all use #9 weight rods and line with large salty flies and wide arbour reels. The most important bit of salt flying is a stripping basket to stop line getting washed around your feet and some waders to get out in the water as far as possible. Neil thanks for the kind offer and I might take you up on it to learn double hauling if possible? I'm meeting up with the guys again soon so might get it from them but if not I'll give you a shout. Very kind of you sir! Went to Canvey Island last weekend but not suitable for flying really except on a shallow beach when it was getting dark. Good spot to practice though! Roll cast is improving well. All in all though it is much more enjoyable than bait fishing even if i haven't caught anything yet! Hitting Chesil and Worbarrow Bay again this weekend so I'll report back...

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
ah, well, you've got me there. I've only ever gone for freshwater trout and salmon - never ever tried the Double Haul because I've never had to cast that far! Is sounds like you've got the hang of it - just remember that you can only control the line when it's taught - any moves when the line's slack only serve to take energy out of your cast. I find it kind of like zen - the pursuit of perfection in a cast - who cares if you get a bite or not! If you're practicing in a field, best to tie a piece of brightly coloured wool on the line instead of a fly. You can see it clearly but there's no chance of hooking weeds or pedestrians!

Not tried the sal****er fishing round here, but should because all the freshwater fish taste like chalk. Not that the Thames Estuary is true salt water - more a deluge of londoner's sweat...

If you want to have a practice partner though, you now know where to find me!

Rgds,
Neil

OOps - there's the salt water thing again!

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
WooHoo! Got my first salties on the fly yesterday! Blanked all weekend til hitting Worbarrow bay on the Saturday night. I only had an hours fishing as for some unknown reason the MOD wanted to shut the gate at 10 sharp. Oh well, still got 2 pollack and a nice feisty mackerel. The mackky leapt out of the water many times an darted all over the shop. A good size fish but after that show I let him on his way without even taking him form the water. Well, I'll get back asap now!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE