Flower plant identification help please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Whilst my wife and I were out exploring the lanes today we came across this plant and it has me stumped as to what the heck it is.

Multiple flower heads on an erect leafless stem about 18"-24" high. The stem is covered in fine downy hairs. Each flower is a little over and inch across.
0311102036-00.jpg

Sorry for the bad phone picture but they grow in a rosette of elongated oval ground hugging leaves the rosette is anywhere from 4" to 8" across. Each leaf is around 2" long by 1/2" - 3/4" wide.
0311102036-01.jpg

Here you can see the closed and open seed heads looking like a miniature dandelion head. Seed pods are 1/2" diameter while the open heads are about 3/4" diameter.
0311102037-00.jpg

Judging by the number of seeds on each head I would imagine this thing could be quite prolific given good growing conditions.

Any help would be most appreciated.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Prolific doesn't begin to describe it. I planted one in the garden. It literally seeds on rotting logs!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE