Flints for fire steel.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Hi can anybody tell me where I can get some flints for use with a fire steel. I live in Wales and there is no flint in these parts as far as I know.
I have heard of some substitutes such as jasper, has anyone used another stone?

Thanks Mark

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Mark
I can let you have a whole bunch!
And for those of you who wish to know - my learning flint knapping is not going well.....
John

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
John you are a total star! My new fire steel is on the way, it comes with a flint but I will be needing more. Thanks again John.

Mark

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
If you go to your local beach that has rounded stones on it then the ones nearest the sea will be the hardest rocks you have around your area. Usually many will by crystaline - granites, quartz, flint. These are generally good for striking sparks. It's a fun trip anyway!

Gailainne

Life Member
I 've had some success with granite and quartz, in some cases attached to each other, I've also succeeded in getting a spark from cullet (old remelted glass) using the back of my knife in all cases, anything that will shave a thin sliver of metal from your knife will work.

What I have found is that very few factory manufactured knifes will create a spark, (we tested it in Sweden on a survival course) but quite a few member made blades will, my SC_Barker clone was great at creating sparks from the above, in actual fact with a piece of natural flint and some charcloth it made both the signal fire and the cooking fire on that course, (I was lucky enough to be chosen, the depth of knowledge and expertise of the people on that course still astounds me).

I have also created sparks from natural flint and iron pyrites, but havent tried it with charcloth as yet, it should work, the pyrites creates quite a few sparks, although they are no where near as hot (bright) as they would be from steel.

Bottom line dont be blinkered by "Oh you have to use flint" like the man said get out and try various stones, all I would suggest is to make sure the "steel" you use does create sparks, so test it first, then experiment. :22:

regards

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE