Flint? Where?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
It might not be the proper section for this question, but I am simply woundering if anyone knows where I can lay my hands on flint in Northern Ireland and Scotland? If I cant, could someone please tell me where I can find it (or by it) here on the British Isles?

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
Anywhere that the underlaying geology is chalk, as the two tend to form together. There is an article on flint formation here:

Flint from Sponges?

I fear your areas are just too igneous or metamorphic :(

An online geological map I've just found suggests an area from Humberside down through East Anglia to the South of England (Dorset through to Kent). I can clearly remember seeing beds of flint in the chalk cliffs at Dover.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If you're just after individual pieces, keep your eyes peeled as you're walking about - the fashion for lining a driveway with flint shards will often provide you with a piece suitable for making sparks!

;)

Ogri the trog

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
Thank you. I suspected that the geology for the two areas where I am currently spending most of my time in was not suitible.....

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
How much are you after and what for?

If you just want a couple or three reasonably sized flakes for flint-and-steel sparks then I could put some into the post for you; I pass a field on my way into my usual place of work that is littered with flint nodules of all shapes, sizes and colours.

PM me with your address if that's what you want, but you may have to wait for a couple of weeks for me to come good on this, as I have some heavy off-site work commitments this next week and the Woodsmoke Woodlander course the week after.

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
Cheers! Should have known that they would have some information, but some times the brain does not seems to be attaced to the body... Thank you!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE