Flint out of the closet!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
Was having a clean out and found these. I made them about 5 years ago an forgot about them. The large knife is Midnight Lace Obsidian and Juniper handle.I made it for an outdoor class showing how flint works skinning and butchering deer. Was a great success.
The other 3 are Chert and Obsidian.With various handle material.
SANY0674.jpg
[/IMG]
Jon R.

Bogeyman

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2007
Heemskerk, the Netherlands
Very nice collection indeed! I especially like the large knife. Are the flints secured with resin? If so, can you recall what you used (birch, pine etc.).

Again, great looking knives......i'm impressed!:You_Rock_

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
Should have said :eek: They are all secures with pine resin. I mix it with charcoal and a little Bee's wax. All are tied off with deer leg or back sinew.
I tried Birch resin but could never get enough from the limited supply of bark I had. The bamboo handled one has more pitch as the handle was a lot thiner. The easiest one to haft was the sheep leg bone as the natural swell in the bone kept everything together.
Jon R.

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
Thanks for all the positive comments. :You_Rock_
Since my stroke left me with a bad tremor in my left side ( I'm left handed:( ) I don't have the fine motor skill to pressure flake anymore. And my percussion flaking just leads to cut fingers these days:eek:
If anyone has an overwhelming desire for flint,glass or Obsidian arrow points let me know
I may have some knocking around someplace.
Jon R.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE