Flint and Steel Fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MattV

Dec 17, 2004
Saint Charles, IL, USA
We had a VERY spring like day here in north central Illinois, so the group of guys I go hiking with all got together and headed out. I brought my smaller dog, and a couple of the guys brought their kids for some time in the woods.

My friend BrianT had made some char-cloth using the tutorial here on BCUK earlier in the week, and had made enough to share.

I had tried to use my Flint and Steel to get a fire going with no success, but also knew I was doing something wrong.

Brian had his set and showed how he holds the Char-cloth on top of the flint so that the spark from the steel jumps up on to the cloth. I tried it and on the second try, BINGO!!. The spark jumped up, into the cloth, started to smolder and I transferred it over to the tinder.

I made fire with flint and steel. It felt awesome. I wanted to run around beating my chest and shout "I have made fire." like Tom Hanks in "Cast Away".

Thanks Brian for your excellent tutorial. :You_Rock_

MattV

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE