fleshing beam alternatives?

Jun 8, 2010
Lincs
does anyone know of workable alternatives to a fleshing/beam pole?
I have seen a length of guttering suggested and was wondering if there are any other viable options. Does the thing have to be round or will a flat beam work as long as it is smooth?

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Great that people here are doing tanning now!

I only use round fleshing beams. I have heard that a pvc pipe is very good, it is definitely smooth enough, just doesn't have as much "give" as wood, so I guess you need to take it a bit more easy to not rip the skins.

What skins are you tanning?

Jun 8, 2010
Lincs
am going to start smallish with the only thing I have so far found a provider for, sheep
I want primarily to make rawhide but also am considering trying to tan at least once

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
On the WSS Hunter Gatherer course i did and reviewed ( in case you want to have a search and look at the photos of the fleshing poles ) we used a length Soil pipe ( which i think is 4" diameter ) with two poles cross lashed underneath to support it.

Although usable they did have a tendency to 'slip' , I would suggest drilling two holes and inserting two broom handles to create legs. I would also be tempted to try with a cylinder of a larger diameter although it may prove not to be as productive , worth an experiment i guess.

I think you need a narrowish cyclinder ( say 4"-8" ) and with full length of the skin so at least 4' long , to create a 'nap' and push as much subcutaneous material 'up' so you can take it off with your weapon of choice.

HTH

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Tanning is a lot of work - but I think worth doing at least once. You then appreciate the value of hand tanned skins to the native people who depended upon them (like the value of cordage and netting for fish trapping). In my view, it's only when you do it yourself that you see how much work went into making these basic essentials.

There's some info here on brain tanning that I did a couple of years ago: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31988&highlight=deersking+to+buckskin

I'd say that the main thing would be to have a very smooth beam. Mine had one or two tiny knobbles, which I would remove if I were doing it again. Plastic pipe is reputed to be a reasonable alternative to a wooden beam.

Geoff

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
One advantage of plastic pipe is that it is portable. Our first (well, after the ones we did at the course with Lynx Vilden) ws done on pipe that we carried out into the woods. Living in an apartment it was buckets on the balcony, and carrying the hide in buckets on the commuter train that was the only way to organize it. We used the upright beam technique, and the trick was keeping he hide from slipping off; a couple of strong glue clamps worked wonders.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE