Flat cap and whippet - Yorkshire lads day out

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My assault on the Lakes continued today with a visit to Derwent Water.

Wanderinstar had picked up Docs' Bob Special this week and was keen to get out and have a bash. So we hatched a rough plan to meet en route then continue in convoy to Derwent.

Early bird catches the worm and all that so 7 o'clock at Long Preston was the agreed RVP. I don't think Ian was so keen on the early start to begin with but he soon came round with a couple of guilt trip PMs

One reason for getting off early is I'm a tight Yorkshire man so I don't like paying for parking when there's a free layby to race to before the rush. Ian didn't seem to mind either so maybe it's true what they say about us.

Not much to say about the day apart from it was a cracker ! Given the mental winds we'd had up here all week the forecast said 1mph for today. Result.

A few pics ...

Ian getting ready at the put-in, mirror like conditions suggested it was going to be a good day.
DSC00990.jpg

DSC00991.jpg

DSC00992.jpg

Bags in and after a short discussion about suitable footwear we were off.
DSC00993.jpg

DSC00994.jpg

Ian was soon getting the hang of it
DSC00996.jpg

The laziest paddle known to man found us as the south end of the lake in no time, time for a brew then Ian ?
DSC00997.jpg

DSC00998.jpg

DSC00999.jpg

DSC01000.jpg

Now this lovely little pic shows no dramas but somehow Ian managed to almost take a swim here. Not sure what happened but I heard a bit of a splash, a few choice words then a great bout of laughter. I turned to see Ian somehow standing in about 4 ft of water after accidentaly stepping off a submerged grass ledge.
DSC01001.jpg

Another discussion about footwear and waterproofs then we were off again, this time heading north up the west shore.
DSC01002.jpg

DSC01003.jpg

The usual monsoon that appears from absolutely nowhere on my recent trips to the Lakes didn't fail to let me down. Just as we'd stopped for lunch, on probably one of the only areas of the shore which didn't have trees for a quick tarp shelter, the heavens opened with big heavy rain drops and a bit of hail thrown in for good measure.

So that was the last my camera came out.

We had a mooch around a few of the islands then made out way back.

Great day with good company.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know I replied on SotP. but those are still beautiful photos of a lovely bit of the world.:approve:
Excellent day for Ian's first outing in the boat :cool:

Thanks for sharing,

cheers,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds like a good day out, you really do have your "sea" legs now don't you shewie :)

Yeah they're coming on grand Stoo

I still need to sit back up on the seat every 20 or so minutes though as my lower legs and feet go to sleep on me. It made for some interesting landings the first few times I went out.

:1244:

Anyone watching would think I was trolleyed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE