Fixing knife scales.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I'll probably order some Bernie, is it as thin as it looks? and does it keep well?

I moved to using this stuff
41EK6AX8E2L._SS500_.jpg

as I can at least use the whole pot! - always found the tubes glue themselves closed before I get 1/2 way through them :aargh4:

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I'll probably order some Bernie, is it as thin as it looks? and does it keep well?

I moved to using this stuff
41EK6AX8E2L._SS500_.jpg

as I can at least use the whole pot! - always found the tubes glue themselves closed before I get 1/2 way through them :aargh4:

No its got a brill shelf life,if you want some in a hurry i'll send you down some, and when you get yours send it to me,its only good for scales not leatherwork.

Bernie

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
No its got a brill shelf life,if you want some in a hurry i'll send you down some, and when you get yours send it to me,its only good for scales not leatherwork.

Bernie

Thanks for the offer mate but I'm currently trying to negotiate clearing my workshop of a load of display boards that make it almost impossible to get in, so there is no rush at the moment :rolleyes:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
OK, spent today working on the blade. All done, bar a final polish. So far, so good. I'm really happy with it. This is turning into a really enjoyable project and I've learnt loads so far. Also managed to get some nice wood (don't know what it is) for the scales.
Right, here's another question: how long do you cut the pins?
Let's assume I'm making an 'average' bushcraft knife (let's not get distracted by what 'average' means - I'm talking about something in the style of the kind of knife Ray Mears uses). How long (or wide - however you want to think about it) do you cut the pins? I'm thinking about 20mm? Or will that make the knife too thin? Surely no more than 25mm?
I'd like nice easy answers - no complicating it with 'well, it all depends' type answers.If you feel the need to do an 'all depends' answer (or any variation thereof) then just move on. Just imagine an average, bog standard knife - how long do you cut the pins?
Once again, cheers.

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
I always make my pins about 10mm longer than they need to be (ie so they stick out the sides of the scales) ---then I trim them as needed when shaping the scales.

But, I think you are asking about how thick the overall scales and tang sandwich should be. In that case, if you are making the knife to fit your hand, remember that you can always remove more scale material --it's impossible to add it. So, start thick and work your way down to what feels comfortable. Find yourself a butcher or kitchen knife that feels about right to you and make the scales 10mm thicker....

I hope I avoided the "it depends on how thick you want the final product" comment...grin.

D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE