Fitted a new handle to my old hatchet.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
About ten years ago, when I was about 13 years old, I bought my very first hatchet to split wood with at a family holiday. The axe we had was too heavy for me back then, so I found this 500g hatchet in a hardware store in the Czech republic where we were camping back then. It used to look an awful lot like this:
capture1011.jpg

But after some holidays with me, who at the time knew nothing about edges, axes and proper use and care, it became a bit knackered. Over the years I learned about tools and also picked up an interest in bushcraft and carving, and I have collected some nice shiney axes and knives since. (Hello, I am Two Socks, and I am a sharps-hoarder...) The memories I have with this hatchet, however, are special. It is comparable to what I feel when I look at my first knife: a victorinox camper that I saved up for when I was seven. I am quite happy my parents decided to make me buy my first knife and later my first axe too. At the time I had no idea, but now I realize that the saving and shopping around have made me appreciate the items so much more, and it has taught me a lesson about the value of money. Anyway, I recently dug out the hatchet head, and last weekend I made a handle for it out of some oak. Here is what it looks like now:
_DSC0759.JPG

_DSC0762.JPG

After I put an edge on it today, I carved a spoon and a teaspoon with it.

2013-10-27+15.00.40X.jpg

I found out that the grind is awful for carving. It is a pretty crappy axehead overall, when I face the facts. But it is my first one and I have grown very attached to it. Who else has tools they go way back with? I hope I am not the only one who gets a bit melancholic from an old piece of steel.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Great story really nice and no your not I have a small SAK that I was given when I started work and I still have it and it's been through hell and high water with me it's been used and abused and now I've sort of retired it.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Nice looking handle on that, looks good. And you're most def not the only one, I have an old Victorinox climber which I was given on my 8th birthday and has been through everything and I still carry it, fantastic bit of kit that! Nice looking spoons as well - thanks for sharing :)

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
@mike: It looks indeed similar, but i do not think mine is italian made. Come to think of it i never thought about googling for the mark on it. Something for this afternoon.

@trev: thanks :)

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
Maybe someone smarter then me and more experience could elaborate on the subject but seems to me the DIN number is same on both 5131 600

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE