Fiskars Splitting axes are razor sharp. (Gory)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 19, 2013
Finland
Ouch! That's gonna sting for a while. You are on paracord bracelet duty for a week with that. Get well soon!

Next time wear thick leather boots, wellies cut like butter with a sharp blade (the only axes I got are Fiskars, all 4 of them).

And for the guy who said this
"but that makes me realise why my Mrs is so reluctant to let me get a chainsaw"

Go to a tree lopping/cutting course first, they'll teach you all ther correct working methods and safety rules with a chainsaw.
They also teach you how to sharpen it, general maintenance, how to choose a saw etc.

The most important rules when cutting with it are that you never, NEVER try and saw with the round tip of the blade and that your feet are never on the same side of the tree trunk than the blade is.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Next time wear thick leather boots, wellies cut like butter with a sharp blade (the only axes I got are Fiskars, all 4 of them.

I've just got these thought they would be ok. Class 3 chainsaw boots.

SC20130125-062210.png

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
Yeah they are good, atleast for chainsaw, but not so sure about axe cut, not willing to try either. The mechanism of injury is completely different, so even if fabric tangles to a chain, will it stop a straight blade cut?

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Yeah they are good, atleast for chainsaw, but not so sure about axe cut, not willing to try either. The mechanism of injury is completely different, so even if fabric tangles to a chain, will it stop a straight blade cut?

I have no idea buddy. I don't plan on ever trying them out. I'll look for some heavy leather boots too.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
It's a bit late now but there's a good tutorial on using axes by Ray Whatshisname on U-tube. :)

Take it easy on that foot for a couple of weeks. You don't want a wound like that splitting open again.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The most important rules when cutting with it are that you never, NEVER try and saw with the round tip of the blade and that your feet are never on the same side of the tree trunk than the blade is.

Pah - ever watched someone carve with a chainsaw?

I used to construct post and rail fences, cutting a square hole through the posts with chainsaw.

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
Pah - ever watched someone carve with a chainsaw?

I used to construct post and rail fences, cutting a square hole through the posts with chainsaw.

Yeah I have, guys carve bears etc. over here.
My last job was at a chainsaw importer as tech. advisor, so know a few thing about the thingies :p
Still I'm not suggesting a beginner should do any carving or tip sawing. It takes a while to learn the correct handling of any chainsaw and whilst the saw maybe cheap, all the protective gear isn't and most don't buy them for that reason. Thats when the accidents usually happen. If you have the boots, the overalls, the helmet, jacket and the gloves, it's a lot harder to cut yourself ;)

Here the insurance companies don't give you a dime if you cut yourself on the leg and didn't wear the approved helmet.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yeah! Nice one! :You_Rock_

I was lucky and missed organs and arteries.

I refused all pain killers with a smile and a wink. But thats because Im ultra manly.:cool:

:crutch: I think we need a 'Get well soon' emoticon!

Last edited:

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
It's a bit late now but there's a good tutorial on using axes by Ray Whatshisname on U-tube. :)

Take it easy on that foot for a couple of weeks. You don't want a wound like that splitting open again.

I'm off the foot for 6 weeks buddy due to the smashed bones so no danger of it being used and opening up.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Quick update, went for my 6 week xray today and all the bones are knitting nicely so no need for surgical intervention. 3 more weeks in a cast then its off and I start physio. Can't wait, had a purple cast put on to celebrate.
20130228_223750_zps49d23a62.jpg

Catfish1972

Feb 11, 2013
London
Ouch! That's a nasty looking cut.

Many, many years ago I so very nearly did that to myself with a machete. Since then I've always favoured very short machetes. I still managed to stick one in my kneecap once, though - it was a bit blunt and bounced off the log into my patella. Now I make sure my machete is always sharp. (I was absolutely amazed at how quickly my kneecap wound healed - I was in deep jungle and wondering whether I should go and get it sown up, but by the next day it was already looking good, so I didn't bother). Another time I almost chopped my thumb off - again deep jungle - but I wasn't quite so lucky that time. I had to eventually bite a gangrenous bit out of my hand and 20 years later still have a nasty scar. Ah, the joys of jungling!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE