Fiskars Camping Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rustyspurs

Feb 7, 2021
N.Ireland
Stopped for bottle of red for spag bol and made this purchase from the middle Isle of Lidl.
It comes with a good sharp edge and has a nice well designed little handle.
It was only £20 so .
Anyone used any fiskars (finland) products before?
Watch for scale purposes.20210216_161226.jpg

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Yep, I use a couple of sizes of their splitting axes regularly in the woods processing firewood supplies for camp and home.

Use them in preference to my fancier big name bushcraft axes as they work very efficiently and need less care and attention !

Shame they look so awful but I got over that, mostly, as they just work so well and fuss free ! :)

Rustyspurs

Feb 7, 2021
N.Ireland
If they work as intended I'm good buddy.
Some of the axes, as the knives, look like works of art. If I really enjoy the wild camping I have planned I may splash out on something fancier but this will do well for time being.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
I have the X7 Hatchet, works perfectly well and is a great starter hatchet. My only complaint is the metal is not as hard as other bigger name brands.

Rustyspurs

Feb 7, 2021
N.Ireland
How does that affect its use? if you dont mind answering stupid questions lol.
Will it lose its edge easier or not cut as well in general?

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
I somehow managed to roll the edge but that was probably me doing something silly. Generally the Fiskars have great feedback as starter hatchets.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
They are not very pretty, but they are the mora of the axe world, you do not mind abusing them because it is not expensive to replace. I have used mine for prizing out nails, as a hammer, all sorts.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I have the same with a longer handle since 25 or 30 years. That's a no nonsense high quality tool, and like the Mora knifes a good example, that European production also can be offered relatively cheap.

But I ask myself, if these different as usual looking ones really are made in Finland. Once I have seen non Finish made Fiskars tools in a German hardware shop.

Anyway. It's surely good.

It's offered on the German Lidl page too, by the way, together with other garden tools and also a pocket saw.

My point is, that the usual Finnish ones look like that:

Last edited:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I’ve had the Gerber version of this for 25 years since it first came out, called the baxe, a good will axe great for kindling prep, awful for anything heavier de to the short handle length, i rectified this by making a longer handle to fit into the shaft and works a treat!

Rustyspurs

Feb 7, 2021
N.Ireland
The kindling prep was the main reason I picked it up. I have bought a Lars Falt ( waiting on delivery) and really don't plan on using a knife that nice as a makeshift axe. I'm new to this and wince everytime I watch a vid of someone batoning wood with a beautiful knife.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The X7 with the longer handle is the better choice for most people, because it weighs nearly the same but is far more powerful.

I don't really understand why they offer the short handle version via a lot of supermarkets from time to time and not the superior X7.

Reactions: Marshall

Marshall

Nomad
Jan 22, 2013
Gdańsk, Poland
www.AdamMarczak.com
A 7-8 years ago, I used X7 axe. It's good but there are many better on the market.

fiskars_x7_hatchet_siekiera_0001.jpg

My colleagues had the X5 model. I've had a chance to test it. IMO it's not good tool. It's like a X7 with broken leg.

Interesting facts - Fiskars is the oldest Finnish cmpany, founded in 1649. It is one of the oldest companies in the world. They produce not only in Finland, some products are manufactured in different parts of the world, e.g. some spade models are produced in Poland.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE