Fishing with a bow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
As far as I've been able to find out the countryside act refers to all wild animals and prohibits 'hunting with a bow, crossbow and explosives other than firearms ammunition'.

Are farmed fish wild?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
As far as I've been able to find out the countryside act refers to all wild animals and prohibits 'hunting with a bow, crossbow and explosives other than firearms ammunition'.
You are quite right about the wildlife and countryside act of 1981, but seperate laws exist which cover fishing and freshwater animals.

Ed

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I think the bow/spear rules apply to freshwater as you cant spear crayfish for example. yet spearfishing is ok if you are in the sea.

I've bow hunted rabbits before the ban and even had a plug tip for my crossbow which basically punched then either dead or unconscious - you can buy fishing tips for bows and crossbows but I've never used one or investigated its legality.

I watched a gamekeeper punch a bored american milionaire once - I was doing a favour for a friend at a skeet competition - this fellow was bored waiting his thought he'd blast the salmon as they jumper the wier next to the field. he was a good shot but there wasn't much left worth eating. :)

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Harmonica said:
Has anyone tried to catch fish using a bow and arrow? I had heard that this is legal in the UK (the only bowhunting which is legal here) and thought it sounded worth a try - i'm already a good enough shot to miss a few fish!!

Anyway has anyone tried this? Have you had any success (i bet its pretty tricky)? Is it in fact legal in the UK and are permits needed?

Many thanks

Harmonica

I've shot suckers with bow and arrow (and I'm not much with a bow and arrow). With suckers it is kind of like cheating. While I've never hit the sucker I was aiming at - they are in such a mass - you are bound to hit one of them.

No idea if this is legal in UK. Pretty sure it is legal here as you can also use a spear.

Gravo

Apr 5, 2006
Oslo, Norway
falling rain said:
And I can't imagine it would be legal for sea fish either. as hunting with a bow is banned in the UK and I'd imagine that would include fish in the sea. Although people do use spear guns for fishing in the UK. I think I saw it on one of Huge furry whittlin' tools programmes. Besides it has to be said it is a method that would cause unnecessary suffering to the fish. Would you like to be impaled? I don't want to get into a debate about fish feeling pain and hooks etc. But a hook caught fish, quickly despatched if keeping it for food is a little more humane. IMO :beerchug:

In contrast with many other fishing techniques like nets or lines, spearfishing is an extremely selective sport. The diver sees the fish before attempting to catch it and can therefore avoid taking small or immature fish. Furthermore, spearfishermen generally take only one fish per school as opposed to commercial fishermen who often take the whole school… Other fishing techniques also often result in tons of "by catch" thrown back in the ocean … dead. (see www.defra.gov.uk/fish/conserv.htm on the "by catch" problem). Spearfishermen do no such a thing and actually strongly condemn such wastes. Done responsibly breath-hold spearfishing could be one of the most environmental friendly and ecologically sound ways to bring fish to the table.
(from www.spearfishing.org.uk)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE