fishing tackle advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I am wondering if any of you can advise me on the value of the
following as I am not an angler myself, I understand that it may be quite valuable and I was given it in a gift.
A Sharpes split cane fly rod, 8' 6" impregnated lightweight #5 it has I understand had very little use as it was bought for the wife of a keen fisher who did not take up the hobby it has the following
numbers stamped on the Butt 542 76 which may indicate the date of manufacture. It has always been hung in its case so has
not developed any warp or bend. Any advice would be much appreciated.

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
A nice old piece of kit but not popular to fish with these days due to the weight and the fact that the old eyes don't take modern fly lines which tend to be much thicker. To give you an idea a modern carbon composite rod which weighs a fraction of your rod and is a lot stronger can be had for about £100 these days if you aren't fussy about the manufacturer. It may interest a collector though.

There is a section over on flyforums.co.uk for vintage gear where somebody may be able advise on a price etc.

Oh, forgot to mention a rod of that weight is probably aimed at a size of river where you may be wading for Trout. It fits in between the #3/#4 kits used for small streams and #6+ used for lakes, reservoirs and larger fish.

Last edited:

trixx

Jul 14, 2010
Scotland
Very few anglers use split cane these days, so your market is enthusiasts and collectors. Value/price depends on the condition. As a very rough guide, I'd say that you were looking at something in the £100-£200 range - top end of that to a collector if it's in excellent condition, bottom end of that if you are selling it as a user.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE