Fishing Reels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 28, 2010
ontario
My nephews were asking me a question I couldn't really answer...
of the 2 main types of sport fishing reels, spinning and
spincasting, does one have any advantage over the other or
are they just two different designs performing the same function?

Personally I use a spincasting..

JohnsonCountryMileSpincastReel.jpg

many of my fishing buddies prefer the spinning reel:

Team-Daiwa-Advantage-A-Spinning-Reel.jpg

I hope I got the terminology right; happy to be corrected if not

Thanks in advance for any help from the fishing folk here,

Jack.

garethw

Settler
Hi Jack
The closed face spinning reels are an old design, favoured in the US (and I guess in Canada too) for very light spinning on a short rod. The pick up is just a small stud affair inside and is only suitable for small fish like their bass.
The fixed spool reels are far more common in the rest ofthe fihisng world especially Europe for a huge variety of fishing, depending on their size and line capacity. They are what I use personally. I have a good number of them made by both Shimano and Daiwa, the two major players in fixed spool reels. The small ones are just fine for light spinning while the bigger ones let you go for bigger fish, or perhaps fish in the sea.
I personnaly think the fixed spool reel is far more versatlie than the closed face. I'd suggest you look at the type of fishing your nephew wants to do and get the gear recommended for that. Fishing is a bit like golf you need the right kit for the different aspects of the sport.
cheers
Gareth

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Closed spool reels are designed with spinning and lure fishing in mind whereas the fixed spool reel is a far more flexible tool and can be used for lures and spinners but equally at home casting float tackle and light baits. I would opt for the fixed spool every time although I do have a baitcaster setup, short one piece rod and multiplier version of the reel which I find great for pikeing.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Yes, I should have mentioned that most of our fishing is done on small backcountry lakes...bass, perch, brook trout, pickerel...not often over 5 pounds.
Thanks for the helpful info, I may just dust off the wallet and buy a spinning reel...then I'll have one of each.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Closed face reels, albeit of a slightly different design to the picture shown, are also used for trotting a float as it offers a more controlled method of paying out line, especially when it's windy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE