Fishing Line?

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Hi folks,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place,

What is the best strength / weight of fishing line for general use in the uk? Inland and coastal?

Thanks

Drew

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
We need to know what type of fishing you're likely to do,WW, you cannot just have, say 3lb breaking strain on yer reel to do it all.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
As an example, I have lots of reels with 2 1/2lb, 3lb, 4lb, 5lb, 6lb 8lb 10lb, 12lb 15lb and not forgetting braid, then there's boat reels with 20lb, 25lb and 30lb on them.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
I thought that may be the case!

I want to be able to catch my supper! And thats probably going to be coastal as I understand the current laws.

So short rod, fishing off rock outcrops. . . . that help?

Thanks Opal!

Drew

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I love to fish off rocks, one of my rods is a 9' 6" spinning rod with 8lb bs reel line (breaking strain) and one of 12lb on if it starts to get a bit snaggy, apart from spinners, I also put on bits of rag/lug worm, mussels, crab etc and leave this on the sea bed or below a float. You can have your bait under a float and different depths from a couple of feet to on the bottom. There are many sites for this information, WW, not enough hours in the day for me to explain, mate.

I've caught many a garfish 18" below my float cast out about 30 yards from the rocks on Anglesey and tons of wrasse right under me against the rocks but wrasse are very boney so I wouldn't eat them.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
If a decent wrasse nabs yer bait on a lower bs and heads for the heavy kelp, yer gonna struggle to get it out even on 8lb. Harbours are great for catching mullet if you like to eat them, I'm not a lover of mullet but one of my old mates loves them, I'd go 4lb/5lb line there with small hooks, I use 14/16's.

Off the rocks, sizes from 6 down to 1/0's for me and if casting far out expecting codling, up to size 3/0's.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Top bloke Opal!

I appreciate the info! I used to do a bit when I was a kid, but its all gone from my mind now!

I'll have a look at that site now!

Thanks again!

Drew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE