Fishing laws in Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great Link Pete, thanks. I found this quote particularly fascinating

"The courts have determined that laying down a rod and leaving it supported on a rock or stone constitutes fishing with a set line. This would apply equally to the use of a rod rest. Thus, anyone who fishes for coarse fish in Scotland using accepted methods for that branch of the sport runs the risk of being charged with fishing illegally."

I wonder if this is also true in England? I f so, I venture to suggest that most anglers I have seen are in fact using illegal fishing techniques :p

<edit to say, funny as that is - to me - it just shows how silly the law can be - clearly no reason to break it of course>
Red

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
I went fishing with a mate the other week. He was telling me all about it. You can only have 1 rod at a time. 2 rods is a fixed line.

You don’t need a rod licence to fish either, except from the crown if you want to fish for salmon.

Also, if a landowner wants to charge for fishing his pond, then they have to stock it will fish by law.

In England I used to coarse fish with my dad. Here most fishing seems to be game fishing, it was strange to get used to always taking the fish.

The law is very interesting. The fish in say a river are not owned by the landowner. They are wild animals. Its the "Right to fish" that you need to get permission for.

Scotland seems to have the right idea about land access up here. :)

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I've never really understood all the fishing terminology - could someone explain it to me a little? So far as I understand it:-

Coarse fishing - fishing for sport, catch and release.
Game fishing - fishing for a combination os sport / food - catches are kept.

Am I right? Wrong?

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Don't forget no fishing for Salmon on Sundays. :eek:

http://www.flyfish-scotland.com/scotslaw.htm said:
Weekly Close Times

The prohibition of fishing for salmon during the weekly close time is contained in section 13 of the 1951 Act, as amended by the Freshwater and Salmon Fisheries (Scotland) Act 1976 (section 7 and Schedule 3) and the Salmon (Weekly Close Time) (Scotland) Regulations 1988 (SI 1988/390) made under the terms of section 3(3) of the 1986 Act.

Angling - the weekly close time for rods is Sunday.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE