First World Problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My books these days are always for research; its great I have a study I enjoy.

Other things are from the book exchange; and may go back there when finished.

But I seldom pick up a book I only want to read once

Do you have a book exchange? all our telephone boxes have a new lease of life as one.
They're more common in upmarket areas ime, there's none near me. Very middle class turning telephone boxes into book exchanges.

I once did a class quiz where it asked you about the occupations of those you know. One of the "new" professional upper classes was defined partly by knowing the likes of professors and academics. Whilst I don't know all of you I've had enough contact through here to claim a Tengu and a few others as academics I "know" in a vain middle class attempt at quiz based social climbing :D

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
They're more common in upmarket areas ime, there's none near me. Very middle class turning telephone boxes into book exchanges.

I once did a class quiz where it asked you about the occupations of those you know. One of the "new" professional upper classes was defined partly by knowing the likes of professors and academics. Whilst I don't know all of you I've had enough contact through here to claim a Tengu and a few others as academics I "know" in a vain middle class attempt at quiz based social climbing :D
I wouldn't give that quiz too much credence. It was probably the one that gave my social class result as elite!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
abeBooks is a consortium of book sellers. 6,000,000 titles at least.
Many books, text books in particular, are pennies on your pound/my dollar.
They have saved me many hundreds of dollars buying both new and used books.

Example: I wanted a copy of Winslow Homer's book of tropical watercolor paintings. I'd seen it in a library. I set myself a budget of $100.

In abeBooks.com, I was able to buy that particular book plus two other detailed volumes of his art and paintings all for less than the $100, and delivered to my front door.

They also have a "vault" of collector's editions, first editions and personal items.
You need a train-load of money to shop in there.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Basically that reading a book is good for our brains, while the screen reading doesn't stretch us or make so many connection.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Paul B, yes fine if you like trashy paperbacks; but always worth a look in case you find something worthwhile. I found a few sailing books yesterday.

And a good way to pass books on.

im not much of an academic yet but I am trying

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I wouldn't give that quiz too much credence. It was probably the one that gave my social class result as elite!
In the guardian iirc as a quiz based on the study being reported. My partner reads the guardian online and sent it to me. She's a academic and sad dealing 27th professors and readers. There was good research behind it being reported, but often these newspaper quizzes were based on getting clicks from Google news.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Paul B, yes fine if you like trashy paperbacks; but always worth a look in case you find something worthwhile. I found a few sailing books yesterday.

And a good way to pass books on.

im not much of an academic yet but I am trying
Trainee professor as far as I'm concerned.

Seriously, if you've fit your PhD it seems to me you've done well but there's long slog to carve a career after that. Many years of research assistant doing someone else's research in the gig economy. He and throw out. If you're lucky your university tries to find the next gig for you if you've done 2 years without a break in employment. You end up with first go at other projects because the higher ups don't like paying out redundancy, it's a black mark against the department. They now see it as continuous employment if you keep the gigs running.

My partner is in that treadmill and until you get your first lecturer work you're kind of not well treated it seems. Unless you can get your own funding through various foundations.

If you're in that situation too Tengu I can understand your frustration in getting that next break.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
post Doc & PhD, my career spanned 40 years in Biology with a professional interest in botanical things. I've saved a lot of my original uni text books, not knowing if I would ever find such resources again. Along the way, I found other books, reference books, that just helped me to get things done. Buying those became a habit.
Since then, I've learned of online booksellers with millions of titles for whatever whim takes me there.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
In my first degree once course text was 20+ years out of print. It was in the course book list throughout the degree. There were never enough copies in the library, you were generally put on a term long waiting list for it then you'd have a week with it before handing it on.

I looked in every secondhand bookstore I could. My family had a note of it and checked out any secondhand book store that passed. No, nothing was found.

Then a few years after I moved north and carried on checking this local bookstore. I did my masters and moved on so forgot about it. Then one day I was checking out the same bookstore and saw a book who's title rang a bell. It was the fabled book! Hmm! Did I buy it? Nope! I got by without it stuffed if I'd buy it with no use for it now.

Since that time loads of online book sellers Abe books, etc. You could probably find a copy in minutes with Google. Back in the 90s things weren't like that. Times change. Easier to collect odd books. Top easy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE