First two spoons...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elgatoloco

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Hi there!

Been a member of this forum for a long time, but haven't been active member of this great community, so hello!
Just wanted to share with you guys some pics of my very first two spoons(Decided to take a plunge and ordered a Mora 164) I wasn't aware of how calming the whittling can be:)
I know these are not perfect, kinda too deep and not perfectly symmetrical but It's not bad for a first attempt I think.:D

Some pics:

P1070560.jpg

P1070562.jpg

P1070564.jpg

P1070565.jpg

P1070566.jpg

Best,
Simon

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Those are really good indeed. It took me ages to get on with the mora crook knife. Well done.

One tip that I've seen given with that knife, and used myself, is to snap the nasty pointed tip off the knife, as it is of no real purpose. It makes the knife a lot safer to use.

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
They look good. I say, if you've got a 164, you might as well play with it do some nice, deep carving. It was the only hook knife I used for a good while - although I often started the bowl off with a gouge. Don't know about blunting the end. It doesn't cause me any trouble and it might come in useful one day. Does make storage a bit tricky some times, admittedly. Well done.

Cheers,
Leif

Elgatoloco

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Thanks guys! Yes, I've herd that Mora is not perfect, but it's OK for I think. Can't wait to start working ona a Kuksa, but need to find the proper wood first...tried to season a small piece of wood for it, but it started to crack and it's now completely useless unfortunately..

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Those are fine, 'specially for a first go...........spoons with a deep bowl like that are great for measuring stuff out, getting stuff out of jars etc., I always have one like that in my cook-kit..........atb mac

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Welcome! Great spoons there mate! :) Cleanly finished and really practical too, especially the small one would make a nice sugar or flour spoon. I made a bunch of these for presents and now its great to see them used in different kitchens :) Keep up the good work.
Andy

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Thanks guys! Yes, I've herd that Mora is not perfect, but it's OK for I think. Can't wait to start working ona a Kuksa, but need to find the proper wood first...tried to season a small piece of wood for it, but it started to crack and it's now completely useless unfortunately..

The mora is ok I have used the same one in the picture for while now, I removed the tip after trying to remove my thumb with it, and only recently I have removed the double bevel and I feel this has produced a better spoon knife.
As for the Kuksa you could try carving green wood, or if you want seasoned wood try a arm length piece and cut the cracked ends off once it has seasoned, hope this helps.

Great spoons.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Nice work with your first steps into the world of whittling.

When selecting your wood for the kuksa make sure you select a piece with a large enough diameter to carve the kuksa from one half of piece to avoid splits. Once the log is split look where the centre of the grain is. This may not be in the middle of the log so you can get a larger cup.

The mora spoon knives work ok once you get a decent edge profile. My first choice for spoon knives are made by Nic Westermann followed by Ben Orford and Dave Budd.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE