First trip out with my step son

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
So last night we decided to take a over night trip and this would be my step sons first camping trip.

Before we set off I decided I wanted to keep the kit as minimal as possible whilst taking a tent to make this trip a but easier for my step son.

Here's the kit before it was packed

bcde92b1-696b-d06f.jpg

This was as simple as I could keep it. Kit consisted of tent, sleeping bags, bed rolls, penny stove, water, meths, fire steel, billy tins, torches, tinder, food and knives and axe.

Here is it all packed in my 70litre pack

bcde92b1-6a37-9bd4.jpg

It weighed 3 stone all in which was a bit hefty for my liking.

SWMBO dropped us at our drop off at around 19:00 and we had a 20 minute hike into our proposed position located in a nice copse of small trees.

bcde92b1-6a82-9f04.jpg

Looking into our planned destination.

We picked a nice pitching spot where there was no potential fall risks or deadfall.

bcde92b1-6acc-8e66.jpg

This was our planned pitch in a nice location.

Next we set up my Lichfield apache 3 and got our beds sorted.

bcde92b1-6afe-3d66.jpg

bcde92b1-6b0c-3b8f.jpg

Next on the menu was to get some dry wood and get a fire going but with the recent torrential rain everything was very very wet. We decided on getting the penny stove out and putting on our super noodles, which were very nice.

bcde92b1-6b69-f0e8.jpg

bcde92b1-6be8-a5e0.jpg

Josh enjoying the noodles
bcde92b1-6c24-616e.jpg

Once refuelled we did some basic fire raft even though it was very wet. Josh had fun trying to light the tinder.

bcde92b1-6c66-791f.jpg

He was getting it pretty quickly
bcde92b1-6c82-b980.jpg

We then did some basic shelter building and we built a lean to.

bcde92b1-6ca9-7bf1.jpg

bcde92b1-6cb6-1719.jpg

Josh and I both tried it on for size

bcde92b1-6cc8-d710.jpg

bcde92b1-6cd4-6220.jpg

It wasn't the roomier shelter but it worked.

We bedded down about 22:30 after doing some animal tracking and seeing some bats and a heron.

We decamped at 07:30 and left no trace we were there

bcde92b1-6d24-a865.jpg

Even my shelter was still standing

bcde92b1-6d44-2bd3.jpg

All in all a good trip and he enjoyed it.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Very nice mate. Beats the playstation

More of an Xbox 360 person myself but I love getting out when I can. He enjoyed it which was good and apart from a light rain shower the weather was amazingly hot. I measured the temperature inside the tent as being 24 degrees and 22:30!

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Looks like a good night out, your stepson seems to be enjoying himself as well. It's good to see kids doing this type of thing.
Just one curiosity question, Whats the stick thing with writing on it amongst your kit before it was packed ?
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Eifion

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Looks like a good night out, your stepson seems to be enjoying himself as well. It's good to see kids doing this type of thing.
Just one curiosity question, Whats the stick thing with writing on it amongst your kit before it was packed ?
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Eifion

That is my shillelagh. I used it for pegging out and general hefty work. Bought it whilst on my travels in Dublin and its a nice piece of kit I have four a use for.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Looks like you had a great time. Cant beat time shared camping with your kids. On the weight front i reckon that mag lite was probably at least a stone of your load :D

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
You mean having to get up before you went to bed & eating rocks for breakfast. I remember it well.
Sounds like a great foundation for some good memories there Danny. Thanks for taking us along with you.

I bet poor Josh was on his knees carrying 3 stone of rucksack, but experiences like this need to be earnt. "Course when I were a lad, we 'ad it tough..."

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
He tried picking the pack up and couldn't. Then SWMBO wanted to try it and almost fell backwards with the weight. I was surprised how well it felt on my back or the hike in and out though.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Aye Obadiah, that were it.

Anyway 'twas a good read and great pix, Danny. Really pleased Josh enjoyed himself, I bet SWMBO enjoyed the night off too.

She did. Our 7 month old daughter slept in late and so did she whilst me an the lad were up at 06:30!

Now I need a bigger tent so I can get all the family in it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE