First time svord

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Well after being an idiot and loosing my custom svord that I got from (BIKER) I've had a go at making a new one.
This is WIP made from oak and with virtually no tools ,from the pics you will see I've a shed load of sanding to do but ill get there.
All comments welcome .

null-76.jpg

null-77.jpg

null-73.jpg

null-75.jpg

Once all the sanding and shaping is done I will be doing the file work a coat of oil and then the finished pics to follow
null-79.jpg

null-78.jpg

Well this is now totally finished I've seated the blade properly and added the file-work .
I'm hoping this is to all of your liking here goes.
null-82.jpg

null-83.jpg

null-81.jpg

null-80.jpg

Well here she is all clothed in buffalo hide I've added an elastic lanyard which loops over the sheath and keeps the knife in place as well as the nice snug friction fit. Only reason this was added I lost a beautiful svord and sheath two weeks ago and I'm to going to that again in a hurry. Hope you all like the finished article.

null-90.jpg

null-89.jpg

The original sheath for my lost svord was a dangler in the same style it's been modded to a horizontal carry with belt loop this was a gift from juttle of this parish thank you bud I love it.

Last edited:

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Looks really good.

In the top pic, is the blade locked all the way back?
If so the tang/spine is sitting a bit proud, you may find it imitates the hand in use. Its a tricky bit getting the pin right then shaping the handle to follow this. I've struggled at times. You could file into the spine just a little were the tube sits to let it seat a bit more. Not too much tho or the spine may be weak.

Like the oak a lot :)

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Looks really good.

In the top pic, is the blade locked all the way back?
If so the tang/spine is sitting a bit proud, you may find it imitates the hand in use. Its a tricky bit getting the pin right then shaping the handle to follow this. I've struggled at times. You could file into the spine just a little were the tube sits to let it seat a bit more. Not too much tho or the spine may be weak.

Like the oak a lot :)

Nothing is fixed bud the blade was just placed for the pics and I've already allowed for the blade to sit flush , but well spotted .ive got to shape it all up now countersink the brass then smarten up the blade hard work with no tools .

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Nothing is fixed bud the blade was just placed for the pics and I've already allowed for the blade to sit flush , but well spotted .ive got to shape it all up now countersink the brass then smarten up the blade hard work with no tools .

Spot on. Sorry I have no quick fix for the shaping :) like you say just hard work. But good luck with it and keep us posted.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
I really like these knifes you have done a great job i have some roe antler that i think will suite one of those, atb wayne

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Coming along nice.

What you doing for the pivot? I'd get that in (loose so you can still take it apart) then you can see better how it will fit and also how the pivot will fit in. If you are using the original friction screw the depth of the hole is a little critical so get it in now. If it goes wrong its a lot of work lost. But fingers crossed and it will go well, just take it steady.
Also, for me I might knock the corners off a bit more so rounding it off. Again if you can get the pivot you can hold it better in the hand and turn it this way and that to get a feel.
Like the recess line. Looks good.

Keep it coming :)

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Coming along nice.

What you doing for the pivot? I'd get that in (loose so you can still take it apart) then you can see better how it will fit and also how the pivot will fit in. If you are using the original friction screw the depth of the hole is a little critical so get it in now. If it goes wrong its a lot of work lost. But fingers crossed and it will go well, just take it steady.
Also, for me I might knock the corners off a bit more so rounding it off. Again if you can get the pivot you can hold it better in the hand and turn it this way and that to get a feel.
Like the recess line. Looks good.

I'm defo with you on the more rounded look was going to do that tomoz as well as countersinking the blade holding screw once I've got the Handel how I want then ill move onto the blade .
Thanks for the help fella your a star .Glad you like the recess swage line it's very very comfortable and adds a bit of my build style to the svord .
The pivot is actually the brass tube already in situe just got to make a small mod to the blade to allow it to sit a little lower .

Last edited:

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
By pivot I meant the 'brass holding screw' and how that was going to be :)

I've seen some just put rod in but to my eye there is then no friction to the blade turning and I'd needs it for me. So if you're using the svord screw that answers that :)

Never thought. Are the brass tubes bonded in place already?
If so the rear ones are fine, but the front one, the stop pin that the spine rests on when its open may cause you issues. The friction 'holding' screw works by pulling the two scales together to create the resistance. If the tube is bonded it will resist the scales being clamped up.
On the little ones I do its a hidden floating pin like the original svord. On a full size one I did with a rod straight through I only bonded the pin to one scale, so it floats in the other side.
Hope that kind of makes sense :)

Keep me posted goodjob

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
By pivot I meant the 'brass holding screw' and how that was going to be :)

I've seen some just put rod in but to my eye there is then no friction to the blade turning and I'd needs it for me. So if you're using the svord screw that answers that :)

Never thought. Are the brass tubes bonded in place already?
If so the rear ones are fine, but the front one, the stop pin that the spine rests on when its open may cause you issues. The friction 'holding' screw works by pulling the two scales together to create the resistance. If the tube is bonded it will resist the scales being clamped up.
On the little ones I do its a hidden floating pin like the original svord. On a full size one I did with a rod straight through I only bonded the pin to one scale, so it floats in the other side.
Hope that kind of makes sense :)

Keep me posted goodjob
The rear three brass tubes are bonded bud the front brass tube is only bonded on one side and yes I will be using the fixing screw for the friction and by leaving the front brass tube to be bonded on none side only allows he scales to nip the blade
Perfectly .
I wanted to use brass but didn't want to rob your style so I chose 6mm tubing and to be fair I'm glad I did it adds a new look to the Handel and also lanyard position choice too if your not using a sheath .

Last edited:

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Going great guns. Glad you had already figured it all out so now it should all come good. I was a bit slow on spotting the stop tube and if it was fixed or not. The original screw is easiest option and works really well.

The rear three brass tubes are bonded bud the front brass tube is only bonded on one side and yes I will be using the fixing screw for the friction and by leaving the front brass tube to be bonded on none side only allows he scales to nip the blade
Perfectly .
I wanted to use brass but didn't want to rob your style so I chose 6mm tubing and to be fair I'm glad I did it adds a new look to the Handel and also lanyard position choice too if your not using a sheath .

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Going great guns. Glad you had already figured it all out so now it should all come good. I was a bit slow on spotting the stop tube and if it was fixed or not. The original screw is easiest option and works really well.

Thanks bud I must admit they are tricky little suckers to make and what they make on sales does not even cover the hours put into them .
But having said that now I've made one and now know what I'm doing there is room to make money with these awesome knives and plenty of scope for mods .

Last edited:

jiffi

Nomad
Jun 24, 2010
Castle Douglas, Scotland
Let me put it this way if your bored and need something to do you could always make me one as a present!!! Only leg pulling but very nice finish and your file work is great well done buddy!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE