First time snowman trip

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Hi all,
Me and a couple of friends are planning a trip up snowdon this year.
Hopefully in the spring/summer time.As none of us have any experience,
in this sort mountain walking we could do with some advice on what kit we should be
taking with us for a walk up and back.I think we know the basic things to take.
food
water
extra clothing
waterproofs
map
compass
mobile phone
whistle
foil sheet
survival bag
fak
I sure there's a few things i've missed out.We will also let someone know when we leave and return.
Thanks in advance Andy.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Here's a kit list that I used in the Black Mountains for a solo trip last weekend

Clothing:
Mountain Equipment Ogre XCR jacket in bright red (I believe in being seen in the hills in bad weather)
Cheap fleece jacket - mistake - it behaved like a sponge.
Wool bush shirt as made by BilmoP5 - brilliant
Norgie clone
Aldi technical base layer top
Mountain Equipment Paclite waterproof trousers - very good
Mountain Warehouse winter trousers - nice and warm
Aldi thermal base layer long pants
Assorted thick warm socks
2 hankerchiefs
Mountainlife Extreme boots - cheapish from Mountain Warehouse in a sale - not as waterproof as they claim, but not bad
Cheap nylon gaiters - they do a job
Silk glove liners
Thermalite gloves
Camo goretex waterproof mittens

Kit:
Karrimor panther 75 rucksack - had it for years. Bombproof
DD XL tarp
Backpackinglight solo tarp
Bivvy bag - horizontal zip so a bugger to get into but I can close it up almost completely when cold
Field & trek 5 season down sleeping bag - now 20 years old
Nato sleeping bag liner - a quid at a car boot - first use, and very handy it was too, but nearly not quite long enough
Neck pillow - I prefer it to a normal one
Gelert Extreme Lite 3/4 mat
Bushbuddy stove
MSR Pocket Rocket stove & off the shelf gas canister (not full)
Folding windshield
Army surplus haversack full of apple wood for the Bushbuddy
Firelighting kit - cheap firesteel, turboflame lighter (which I mainly used), various tinders and kindling
MSR titan kettle
Folding frying pan from Millets
Wooden plate made from hornbeam - self made
Plastic folding plate - now with hole in it after a big ember landed on it. Previously used as a chopping board
Home made sit mat courtesy of my wife
Folding baby-change mat - very useful as a work surface or kneeling mat
Plastic sheet - ditto
US army water bottle clone, and pouch
Millbanks bag
First aid kit - unused, thankfully
Laplander saw - unused, the only thing I didn't use that I carried
Fiskars small axe - used briefly for chopping firewood - the bushbuddy needs wood in small pieces
Loo kit - Backpackinglight again
Pouch containing wooden spoon, bone fork and blow poker (great bit of kit)
Crazy river hunting knife - cheap, but it cuts and is stainless so I don't have to worry about it
Alpkit Gamma headtorch
Bag of various lengths of paracord, all labelled by length and in individual pouches - very handy when you need it
4 Clingons
Monocular
Pocket camera
Mobile phone - no signal and the cold killed the battery within 24 hours anyway
Pedometer - used as a back-up clock so I wouldn't run the mobile battery down, but the cold killed it on the second night - must get a watch!

I forgot:
My walking stick - left it behind in the house

I didn't take:
Map, compass or GPS - because I know the area very well and wasn't going off-piste. Couldn't get lost there if I tried.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi all,
Me and a couple of friends are planning a trip up snowdon this year.
Hopefully in the spring/summer time.As none of us have any experience,
in this sort mountain walking we could do with some advice on what kit we should be
taking with us for a walk up and back.I think we know the basic things to take.
food
water
extra clothing
waterproofs
map
compass
mobile phone
whistle
foil sheet
survival bag
fak
I sure there's a few things i've missed out.We will also let someone know when we leave and return.
Thanks in advance Andy.

I think your pretty much there Andy, although if you have a survival bag don't bother with the foil sheet. A warm hat / gloves and possibly a sun hat should also be taken. Make sure you wear appropriate clothes and decent footwear and check this site before you go: http://www.mwis.org.uk/

Most of the paths up Snowdon are fairly straightforward, except going over Crib Goch which is a scramble. Make sure you know how to use the map & compass. Don't let the crowds and litter jade your view of the UK mountains.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Thanks for the weather link Limaed,I will save that to my favorites for later reference.
We was thinking on taking the Rhyd Ddu path as it is close to the campsite we plan to stay at.
Really looking forward to it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Take more water to drink than you expect to need and twice as much food - eating and drinking pass the time when you are sitting lost and injured, waiting for the Mountain Rescue boys!:)
Seriously though I always like to get off the hill with food and drink to spare so that I know that I would not have suffered too much if I had an unexpected night out for whatever reason.
Always look at the "What if"s and plan your kit around them.
A field guide of some sort to flora/fauna/history of the area adds interst.
Walking poles take the bite out of the downhills.
Sun hat and suncreme help take the sting out of good weather.
Plan your route, leave a route card with someone you trust to raise the alarm if you are realy late, stick to the chosen route and LET YOUR CONTACT KNOW WHEN YOU ARE SAFELY OFF THE HILL!
Wear kit suitable for the weather but carry spares for when (not if - this is Wales...) it gets worse.
Accept that the weather is too bad to bother with the route and go to Petes Eats - if the weather IS too bad.
Never be afraid of binning the trip halfway up the hill if the weather is against you - remember too much sun can be as bad for you as too much bad weather!
Research your trip beforehand to get best value for your effort :)
I would avoid the Miners Track on busy holiday days and chose perhaps the Snowdon Ranger path instead ... or you could be queueing on the Zig Zags behind noisy children being dragged up by pushy parents!
Try and go mid week in term time for a quiet trip :)
I love that hill - but so do a fair few other folk ... and you do not want to meet them all :)
Enjoy the walk :)
PS some posts since I started typing :)
Rhyd Ddu is a good path!

Last edited:

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Thank you John all good advice there.
The good thing about this forum is the sound advice, that you can come back to and check time and again.
:You_Rock_

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I agree with John, the Rhyd Ddu / Bethgelert side is much quieter and nicer, good choice. Don't forget Snowdonia has other mountains too, if you get chance head down to the Moelwyns and visit the remains of the old mining villages. My favorite Welsh hill Cnicht, is here too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE