First time sailing.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Wanted to show Toddy a few pics and thank her once again for her help in the purchase of the new canoe.:D

Was too nervous to rig up in public so I tossed all the poles in and paddled round the shore to somewhere more peaceful. After taking this the paddle was packed and didn't come out again until I got back to put-in.

MacG_07.jpg

Sailed round the big shallow bay to the south of Balmaha and back then headed upwind for Balloch. Made it about two-thirds of the way before the wind dropped. It was still filling the sail(just) so I practiced tacking and gybing in slo-mo, getting used to chucking the lee board from side to side and the likes, then settled down, had lunch and just lazed in the sun for a while soaking in the vibe.

Remembered to take a picture around then. Only one I took while afloat.
I'd ditched the backrest board and was just leaning against my daypack, seating position was F1 car-ish. I need to come forward a few inches but didn't have any more luggage to do it with so just lay back for the day so I could reach the pedals. Could have moved them back but the trim will be better with them where they are.
The pedals are brilliant. Later on I got some speed up and their input was great but even just messing about I'd grown to like them. They handle the rudder and the sheet is a single line running under your armpit(that's it held in my toes so I could take the photo).

MacG_08.jpg

On the way back the wind picked up. A little at first then a lull then a lot. I ended up tearing towards Balmaha at sphincter-clenching speeds and there were quite a lot of boats moored. Could have dropped sail and paddled in but was quite enjoying myself and wasn't far from the sandbank so I turned and ran for it.

The reason I'd gone there in the first place was the sandbank, figured if you're going to ditch it somewhere it might as well be a waist-deep bay. Went there to learn to pole too. All sounds very sensible until you hit the bank and the waves double in size, those o-grade wavetank experiments come back and giggle at you.:rolleyes:
Nowt 'Ya Beauty' couldn't handle though. The run back was definately an eye-opener, a reminder that it wasn't the boat who had to learn to sail.

Dropped sail in the shallows, reefed it then bobbed round to the harbour at more sedate pace.

MacG_09.jpg

Had the shakes for five minutes or so, that's a first in a while.
If I learned anything it that I've a lot to learn.

:)
Josh

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
It's not heavy. Somewhere between a bob special and a royalex prospector I reckon, can shoulder it like the pack to put in.. :)
Awkward though. Treat with kid gloves and it'll get easier as the roof cradle improves.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Man that's a lovely looking boat! Just a wee bit different from the pack?? ;) I've been quite drawn to the idea of canoe sailing but that's a different class and I really need to get the paddling bit sorted first :D

Cheers,

Alan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The whole day just sounds brilliant :D

I'm delighted that you bought her Josh, and she looks beautiful. Have you redone the varnish ? Very trim :approve:

That sphincter clenching adrenaline surge is one of the reasons I loved surf canoeing so much :D Utterly heart thumpingly good fun :cool:

Don't think you could have asked for a better first day out .

Can I send the photos to the Galgael ? Davy and Jack have been asking how you were getting along with her :)

atb,
M

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Looks beautiful mate, glad you got her finished and enjoyed your first trip. Nathan will be sooooo jealous :rolleyes: :D

Dave

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Cheers folk. Aye it's good to see her on the water.

Toddy, of course you can forward the pictures. Tell Davy it runs straight as you like :), he was cracking jokes when I was in picking up the paddle about it sailing in circles.
I'll probably be in on thursday to copy the plans but it'll be late and he'll likely have gone by then.

Have only varnished the hull. Four coats so far and naturaly I ripped it along a jaggy rock launching for the first time.:rolleyes:

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Brilliant :cool:

My son has spent the last week pestering me to buy him a small sailing dingy.
I have pointed out that he could just sail his canoe :rolleyes:

Glad your enjoying it, think I'd have the shakes too mind (I don't do sailing )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE