First time knife blade from scratch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tmt77

Oct 20, 2008
Exeter
Hi all

not been on here for a while. Still amazed at the skill and talent of so many of the members.

Iust thought I'd share my first attempt at a knife blade from scratch.
Made from a peice of O1 flat stock. All shaping done with hacksaw and files

Overall pretty pleased with the result although I would have liked a sharper line between the bevel and the rest of the blade

sharpens up a treat, hopping it's not a shade too hard on the temper but time will tell

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 51
Feb 21, 2015
Durham
That's pretty darn good to say its all Hackie n Files!.......some hours gone into that.
Gotta say there is nothing quite as satisfying as making and using your own Knife. Well done!

post more pics later please, would love to see the finished knife

tmt77

Oct 20, 2008
Exeter
Thanks guys. Definitely stiff arms towards the end! I've got a few well seasoned bits of yew about I want to see if I can get a set of scales out of. No loss in otherwise as they only came out of a batch of tree trimmings I was offered

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
That looks like the work of a very patient man. :D
Yew scales would look lovely on that, defo post more pics when it is done.

Rob.

Very good job you did there!
As Zingmo also said - if you wish that sharp line between bevel and the rest of the blade you will need to improvise a filling jig (a quick search on google will tell you how); this is the most basic yet very precise tool for a perfect bevel (it will also work for sharpening it later on ;)

All the best,

Bogdan

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Looks great to me! And I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on it.

I make mine the same way (hand tools), and I don't get the sharpest lines on my bevels either. But if that was really important to me, I'd get a grinder. It doesn't detract from function at all.

tmt77

Oct 20, 2008
Exeter
Zingmo Bogdan. Thanks for your comments. I worked out a pattern on cardboard traced it onto the steel and then just eyeballed everything from there really. Good tip on the filing jig, they look the business I will definitely make one up next time.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE