First Self Bow

This is my first self bow turned out OK still have to sand it down I used elderberry I thought it would brake on me but it worked out very well and stayed together!

I wanted something I could bring with me on trips out to have some fun practice shooting I would say the pull is between 25lbs and 30lbs so its easy to pull and shoot all day without getting tired of shooting it....

For the bow string I used 2 strands of inner core of para cord seems to work OK for now...

bow3.JPG

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Nice job Survival Bill if it looses an arrow its job done :cool:

If you have some cord left there is a bit of a hinge in the bottom limb just past the fades that could do with a wrap to make it live a little longer. :)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I was just wondering what elderberry was like for bow making? There is lots of it around here but very rarely straight enough or long enough.

In regards to the hinge i would heat treat it straight and wrap it with some type of string that you can oil or varnish, i dont think paracord will cut it.

The heat treat should remove a little of the set and the string re-inforce the limb a little.

:)

Willderness

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2009
UK / UAE
Good job, a first bow that hasn't snapped :p
Personally I would shave a bit of the lower limb off to address the hinge.

I read a good tip of using fibreglass tape to back the bow

Aparently its one of them lost bow woods that make for an awesome bow wood...

I have some cotton and jute kicking around here....

I was just wondering what elderberry was like for bow making? There is lots of it around here but very rarely straight enough or long enough.

In regards to the hinge i would heat treat it straight and wrap it with some type of string that you can oil or varnish, i dont think paracord will cut it.

The heat treat should remove a little of the set and the string re-inforce the limb a little.

:)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Jute should do it, then stiffen up the firmly wrapped jute with a varnish or some kind of finish. A deep heating with a heat gun on the hinge will also stiffen it up.

You could try to remove wood from the areas above and below the hinge but you may end up dropping the draw weight too much. It will only be a "fix" and not a "solution" but hey its your first bow and it shoots!

You could use fiberglass tape but it kind of misses the point of making a self bow :eek:

Which reminds me i have to get on with this other birch bow, promised it to someone weeks ago :rolleyes:

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
I like elder I have 2 walking staffs made from elder, it works well and is quite good strength to weight. it's not easy to find knot free in decent lengths but some older trees can produce some quite good pieces

it was a great spot the spot we wanted to go to originally was taken so we went a bit farther and found this spot it has lots of room and could do 30 to 50 people easily and it had some very good fishing holes up the river also I think it was meant for us to find this spot along the river....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE