First of many Kayaking adventures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Drowning fudged figures for open water, swimmer, drownings included, for example, those of drunks going for a midnight swim and possible drunks going back to yachts in overcrowded tenders. Note I said "within own limits" which is not carte blanche to set of for France on a small sit on top, not that the right person could not make it as someone did in a coracle.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I take my safety very seriously, survived so many stupid things in my youth i actually have ptsd flashbacks from some of it usually just as i am about to fall asleep i dream it went the other way and i wake instead of dying. Thinking back at times i am amazed i made it past 30, so the fact i did make it past 30 started making me realise i might want to make it to 80, after thinking on that more i realised i'd actually like to make it to a 100+ and die of natural causes in my bed with a woman half my age.

So safety is my number on priority when doing anything from cutting a tomato in my kitchen to deciding if that lake is too choppy and i need to either stick to the shoreline or the land today.

I was just reading about that young inexperienced fella who died in Aberdenshire in January, they found his kayak first, i read all the stories and don't take any of this lightly, same as when i go camping in bear country with no gun, to do this without care and proper precaution will probably mean you are bear food, done properly and wisely and you come home

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I think this thread is a small testament to my safety precautions, it is 3 year since i started this thread, there have been no life threatening situations or dangerous sefl inflicted dramas, i've spent well over 5 weeks solo in the bear and cougar filled wilderness in a kayak or canoe since then and many little day trips too, doesn't make me any less safety conscious as i credit still being here with my being safety aware the whole time

rancid badger

Well said GG.

Safety advice and instruction only played a relatively small part in the courses I did.

Most of the actual instruction was around sound technique, which very quickly led on to increased confidence, which in turn and coupled with genuine common sense, leads to a sound understanding of your own skills and a good ability to assess personal risk, in time leading to experience.

I suppose it might be classed as "knowing your own limits" but the key thing is having some foundation to base those "limits" upon.

No one would be wise paddling a sea kayak, without at the very least a practical introduction from a competent sea kayaker.

There's nothing wrong with "having a go" with a lot of pastimes but sea kayaking comes under the same heading on my list as parachuting, flying, diving, driving etc etc. ;)
Basically, if you don't get shown the basics and prove you have them on board, the chances are you'll come a cropper:)

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE