First Newborn Reptiles of 2012 (VERY PIC HEAVY)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I wasn't working today, but decided to do what I do when I'm working anyway. Except this time, apart from catching, recording, weighing, taking DNA, surface temperatures and recording every other minute scientific detail. I thought I'd just go out and photograph stuff in their natural environment, doing what they do. Undisturbed. A relaxing day with no pressure.

An old haunt of mine. Not as great as it was for reptiles 10 or 20 years ago and getting worse. But they are there. Even my favourites - adders.

21Aug20122.jpg

How do I know. Says so here...

21Aug20123.jpg

Off to the lowland heath...

21Aug201217.jpg

Awww, cute juvenile Common toad. Last years by the look of him...

21Aug201220.jpg

21Aug201223.jpg

Not long till I find the first adder. Roughly a three year old female....

21Aug201216.jpg

21Aug201215.jpg

An old adult male. Flattening himself in the overcast weather so as to increase heat absorbtion...

21Aug201211.jpg

21Aug201212.jpg

I watched him for a while as he was beautiful. He noticed me after a while and was gone like a whipcrack...

21Aug201213.jpg

Another young female disappearing as I walk past...

21Aug201224.jpg

There are a load of dog walkers around this area, and these adders are some of the shyest and quickest to flee that I've ever recorded. This is a typical spotting. An adult female. At this time of year the females retreat underground for a couple of weeks as they prepare to give birth to their live young, but some are still out as they only reproduce every two to three years. It's physically draining for them and it takes that long to recover - some don't in time for winter. I was predicting a late birth for the snakes this year due to the cool and very wet weather. Adders, unlike grass snakes, don't lay eggs but give birth to live young. Not good as any delay means little chance of surviving the oncoming colder weather. Anyway, back to that female. This is a typical sighting, you spot it almost too late and then it bolts very quickly before you have chance to see much. This is how most encounters transpire when you move normally and without much stealth. That's why the pics are a tad blurry - sorry....

21Aug201225.jpg

21Aug201227.jpg

21Aug201228.jpg

21Aug201229.jpg

This last one is blurred because she is moving so fast. The last third of her body didn't even have contact with the ground because of the speed she was going. You can also see how short and stubby the tail is on females. Males are longer and more slender. Often with a penal bulge if mature...

21Aug201232.jpg

Quite a few slow worms out too. Hunting the grey slugs in the wet grass. They love those grey slugs. This one is a juvenile of a year or so old...

21Aug201239.jpg

21Aug201241.jpg

21Aug201234.jpg

That's when I spotted the best news ever. A neonate adder, just newly born within a few days and basking in the open. This is great news as a late birth would mean less animals surviving hibernation. Plenty of time for him/her to bulk up on all of those lizards out there. Neonate adders are tiny, about teh size of a small pencil with roundish, kiddy heads. Very hard to spot as they are only the size of a ten pence piece when curled up.....

21Aug201244.jpg

21Aug201246.jpg

Then an adult slow worm out and about and quite active for them...

21Aug201249.jpg

21Aug201252.jpg

Another adder tail bolting for cover before I could sex or age it...

21Aug201253.jpg

And - wooHOO, another neonate...

21Aug201254.jpg

21Aug201255.jpg

A big old male....

21Aug201257.jpg

As the sun came out, so did the legged lizards...

21Aug201264.jpg

21Aug201266.jpg

21Aug201270.jpg

21Aug201274.jpg

I moved to another area so I didn't disturb them further. I found a young male adder as I nearly stepped on him. Good job my brain works before my eyes. I actually stopped before I knew I'd seen him. You do that alot when you've been doing this for a while. You can see his head detecting me and looking right up in the second pic...

21Aug201275.jpg

21Aug201276.jpg

Along with pheasants, these fellas are the scourge of the neonate adder...

21Aug201285.jpg

It was starting to get warm and sunny. Snakes actually start to go into hiding as the weather gets sunny. They warm up quickly and get enough energy to go hunt and do snakey stuff. Lizards are still about, but wicked fast. Again I moved to another area more shaded and less exposed. I found a few adders here, but they were off before I could get decent piccies...

21Aug201288.jpg

21Aug201289.jpg

21Aug201290.jpg

Well all except this little neonate. More good news from a different colony. Things may not be as bad as I predicted they would be this year....

21Aug201294.jpg

21Aug201296.jpg

After having a quick MOD ration lunch. I sheltered from a bit of rain and headed off again. The sun had gone in and it was almost 1400hrs. Still good for another couple of hours if I was lucky. I was. This is a very very very old male. His head was huge and so were the venom glands. He was out in the open and had little to fear from most predators. It's difficult to age snakes, but their heads seem to get bigger behind the eyes with age. At a rough guess, I'd say this one had seen a couple of decades....

21Aug201297.jpg

21Aug201299.jpg

21Aug201298.jpg

That was the last of the snakes for me. A few more slow worms were about because of the rain enticing the slugs out...

21Aug2012101.jpg

21Aug2012102.jpg

21Aug2012103.jpg

Caught some Fallow out grazing on my way back. Cool relaxing day.

21Aug2012108.jpg

21Aug2012107.jpg

Last edited:

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Wow amazing what a trained eye can see. Hard to believe theres parts of the uk with that many reptiles. Awesome picks and write up mate, very impressive. In all my time out iv only ever seen one adder a few slow worms and two grass snakes plenty of toads mind. Cheers fella

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Cracking pics matey, really enjoyed that:) the old boy looks massive, how long do you reckon he is?

He was a very big fella. Easily a metre long, which is huge for a male.

Hamish (dreadhead) came out with me on Saturday. It wasn't ideal weather, but he got his eye in right away and spotted a few way before me. His first adders. I caught a big old male then to give Hamish a better look. After hooking him and placing him back on the ground and letting go, he just stopped there and held his ground. He'd been around the bloc a bit too and had more confidence than the younger snakes.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
superb Jonathan looks like you had much better luck without me tramping around this time! still chuffed about seeing those snakes the other day will be on the lookout from now on after your guidance

That was the area I spotted the first newborn. I'm 100% sure the first male in my thread was the same one I caught Saturday. He was in the same area and began hissing at me almost immediately.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
It looks like you had a truly wonderful day. Thanks for all those pictures.

I haven't seen a lizard all year, apart from a slow worm. 2 adders is my count, and they were together, and I took a step too many as I saw them.

I've had reports of a big grass snake basking at a nature reserve I visit often, and it seems everyone has seen it except me. Apparently it is very placid and approachable.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Fantastic pics thanks for posting , you say the population is going down ,just to let you know last year up here i saw more adders than i have ever seen

Jason

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
nice one, will keep an eye out but try not go tramping about the place

The best place to go is the bank where we sat on the bench up on the ridge, but down the other side. I saw too many lizards to count and about 12 to 14 adders down there in the space of 40 mins. Because of the steep slope, it's only good for walking alone though. It's easier to spot them there if you start at the bottom and walk up in a zig zag from one side to the other. You'll see them easily as they'll be at eye level due to the banks steep slope. That also means they won't see you as easily because you won't have a dark profile against the sky as much as you would if you were on a flat.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D That was a good ramble :approve: well done managing to capture so many with photos too :cool:
Thank you for sharing.

JD......would slow worms survive up here ? There's plenty of food if they like slugs and I can keep cats and hoodie's away from them.

cheers,
M

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
He was a very big fella. Easily a metre long, which is huge for a male.

Hamish (dreadhead) came out with me on Saturday. It wasn't ideal weather, but he got his eye in right away and spotted a few way before me. His first adders. I caught a big old male then to give Hamish a better look. After hooking him and placing him back on the ground and letting go, he just stopped there and held his ground. He'd been around the bloc a bit too and had more confidence than the younger snakes.

Excellent! and to add, there are now two of you to get a soak on...................

green-pistachio.jpg

:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE