First knife: Can anyone help?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ADP8

Jun 3, 2011
UK
Can anyone recomend a first knife? I want a decent knife that's an all-rounder and preferably a folding knife. I also want it to be affordable too. Any ideas?

Also, can anyone recomend a descent whittling knife.

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated!

If I want to have a locking folder most of the times I car a Spyderco Persistance or a Victorinox OHT, if I don't care about the knife locking i tend to carry some other victorinox like the farmer or the huntsman

Cheers
Esteban

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
Opinels are a good, honest, locking or non locking folder available in both stainless (although not as common) and carbon steel. There are a lot of different sizes and a few different designs in the opinels so have a look at the full range, oh and they come nice and Sharp!
Swiss army knives (both Wenger and Victorinox) are good knives for everything you could possibly need, I was bought a Victorinox tinker for my birthday two weeks ago and its done everything from food prep to stripping armoured cable.
I would recommend reading up on knife laws if you have not already done so, it might govern the knife you buy if you intend to have it with you all the time.

Edit: I noticed you posted at 03:33, if that's you Satan don't worry about the knife laws :D

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
NPK3.jpg

this is a svord like mountainm mentioned, very good knife! easy to mod too, people to all sorts to them.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Cheers for the heads up and the link. Might stick with the joker for the pocket. Still want to get a svord, or a friction folder by jojo if funds allow.

jojo makes some beautiful blades! I didn't know the joker came in carbon steel.. might have to have a look around.

the svord is ok in the pocket but the tang does poke a bit, speically if you keep it in the little pocket on jeans, digs into my belly when I bend down! opens one handed though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE