First Home Made Bow

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hey all, take a look at my first recurve bow and let me know what you think :) its got about 35-40 lb draw weight at 28" its first attempt so go easy on me!

photonxp.jpg

photo5en.jpg

photo4lb.jpg

photo3kj.jpg

photo2jv.jpg

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
it's not it's PVC Pipe, well technically it's two, its 20mm electrical conduit inside 25mm conduit and then shaped, primed and sprayed, i got the idea of youtube type "impossible bow" or "pvc bow" there's loads. I only decided to do it as an experiment because I've always fancied a bow but not fancied the price of one in this shape. So for less than 5 quid each and it's still pretty powerful i'm happy! I know it's not very "bushcrafty" but It's the joy of archery I was looking for in this experiment. oh and it only takes 10 minutes to make. So all in all, definitely worth doing IMO

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Very well. Like I said it's more than enough draw weight for me. And arrows are flying straight. What more could you want? And for 5 quid seriously can't complain. There's loads of variations as well like flattening the limbs to make a flatbow but I didn't get that far

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I know! I was very skeptical about the power of these but they really do work! Definitely something good to do with kids? not an overly powerful bow but enough so that they can get a good feel for it! and get them interested :)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Good first attempt although plastic is not my cup of tea but hey it's cheap, works and may spark an interest to make one out of natural materials?

A full draw pic would have been good to see where it's bending? Use this on a warm day and expect it to be as limp as a bit of cooked spaghetti!!

From what I remember from my installation days using placcy conduit, it has ok tension but rubbish compression qualities and it was easy to crunch up the inside of a bend and ruin it.

Steve.

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
been looking at the vids for these type of bow and although it feels wrong, i want to have a go at making one, will save on cost and time and likely disapointment of making a real wooden bow that would only break knowing my luck
nice job and thanks for showing!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE