first go at making a kuksa

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
hi people, i have had a go at making a kuksa, I'm not the best at wood work so please go easy, i have wanted one of these for ages, but as for what some companies charge for these, i thought i would make one me self, i made it out of birch, as this is what it is made out of traditionally i think.
i had to plug a hole inside with some epoxy wood putty, which is waterproof, and done the job great, as i was carving at that point the wood was very soft, so i scraped it out and filled, just in case, i coated it in olive oil.
the handle is extremely comfortable to hold as i shaped it around for my first finger to go underneath, and my thumb on top, and i carved out a little lip on the one side to aid with drinking.
i hope you like it.

001 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

003 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

004 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

005 by lucky_lee, on Flickr
all comments are welcome.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
that's superb mate, especially for a first attempt. i love the handle shape, it looks as though it'd be really comfortable in use

stuart

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Very nice indeed dude, difficult to believe it's your first attempt ! .......I'm not sure the epoxy putty is a good idea if you want to drink from it.......olive oil isn't ideal as it may encourage mould, I think there are a few things you have to do them first ( involving salt water & plastic bags) before the final finish, but I'll leave that to the experts to explain.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
cracker Lee mate.

Next time use walnut oil,olive can go rancid.(well so I've read and been told,think there's debate about that.)

Another thing is never buy yourself a kuksa, it should be made by yourself or gifted.

Tom.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
that looks fantastic mate...miles better than my first attempt which incidentally split and ended up on the hearth!! great work, love that grain and the finish. keep up the great work...

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
oh well, looks like it will just have to stay on the shelf, thought the olive oil would be ok, and as for the putty, i was not sure about that one lol, at least if i have a go at another one, i will no how to finish it, thanks for the comments lads.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh very nice, Lee :approve: Unique, organic and looks comfortable, iimmc :)

The only problem with oil is that it makes your tea taste funny :yuck:
Olive oil on the kuksa isn't a problem, since it's such a thin layer, so long as you don't leave it somewhere damp, then it will become mouldy. Double :yuck:

If you want to remove it, washing up liquid and warm water :D
Seriously, just put it in with the dishes and give it a good rub with the sink cloth/sponge.
It'll raise the grain but that wears down again with use. Just dry it really thoroughly and let it air somewhere cool.

No idea about the epoxy. Could ask the wood turners about it if the packet doesn't say one way or t'other ?

For a first one, I'm well impressed :D

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I like it Lee, very good first Kuksa. I'm sure you will have many a good drink out of it, and an interesting handle too.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
thanks so much for the comments, Toddy you are a legend will be in with the dishes this morning, the only good thing about this one, was that i was paranoid about it cracking so i carved this out of a piece of seasoned birch it was hard going but it saved the paranoia, i have left it in all the chipping that came of it after carving, and there is alot lol, a whole bag full, as for the putty, it sayed that it is water proof on the side.
this is the putty used

001 by lucky_lee, on Flickr
it does say its sovent free, but at the back it does say skin irritant, but does that mean when forming, because once its set, it rock hard, so that you can sand it to the required shape.
if anyone could shed some light on whether this will be ok, that would be grand.
by the way i have the steel version of this aswell and it realy good if you have chips in anything metal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE