First go at jerky!

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Heh all,
Got myself 3 pounds of extra lean briskett to have a go at making jerky using the 'oven Jerky' recipe on the home page here. Anyone used this recipe? Any tips for flavourings and is there anything I should really know before I start (mystical knowledge from the lore of meat drying :D)?

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Storage is key, I made a batch for the summer moot about a month prior which tasted great out the oven but I stored it wrapped in kitchen paper towel then wrapped in foil. Big mistake, it just tasted :dunno: wrong so ended up on the fire :( . Take Reds advice and try to vacuum pack it in plastic food bags as best you can.

You should find a few threads on the subject that tells you what the crack is.

Good luck.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
cheers matt ill take that onboard, was going to store it in cotton bags, but will look for an alternate option. :D

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
heh all,
got my beef all cut and in marinade for drying tomorrow. I was thinking in regard to Matt's post about the storage problem. Would smoking the jerky after its been oven dried extend its lifespan, I dont have a smoker or anything but im sure I could rig something up...
Also can anyone tell me why smoking preserves food? Is it some sort of chemical reaction...? :confused:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
copper head,

Dry the absolute Ar*e out of it. If your not sure, its not dry enough. Kepp moisture away by either vacuum packing (which I do) or by storing in the cotton bags you suggested but in an airy place. Sweaty plastic bags etc. is not the way to go.

If you've left any fat on, you'll have problems with rancidity - it has to be seriously lean. So long as there is no fat at all and its really dry, it should be good for 6 months

Red

I used to be a butcher and we made biltong (South African jerky)... we would put it in paper bags for customers, rather than plastic bags. Plastic is a big mistake, the condensation moistens it and it gets kinda yucky. Nothing wrong in my opinion with moist jerky or biltong i.e. moist from not drying entirely from the process, but wet afterwards... blech...

I also prefer very fatty biltong - as long as you have salted it correctly, it really shouldn't go rancid - at least that's my experience having made hundreds of pounds of the stuff. Mmmm fatty.

Cheers,

Mungo

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
To Mungo: Thanks mate good link, what is the differance between Biltong and Jerky?

To British Red: Yep got the leanest beef the butcher had, so should work ok, and yes will go with the cotton bag thing aswell. As for the smoking, ill do it just for the flavour :D

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
Hmmmmm dried meaty treats.
inspired by this i've promised to give this a try with some organic beef, I will report back unless i die in some gluttony related accident

cheers

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well its all in and going, I figure it should be done about eight. Ill let you know whehter it works,

jerky1wb5.jpg

A few bits are touching the bottom of the oven... Will this affect it?

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Chaps,

Apologies if I have given poor advice as regards plastic bags. I remember Red you said you vacuum packed yours so assumed it was using plastic food bags.:eek:

The reason I am rubbish at storage is the fact that I make such delicious jerky that it gets devoured so fast I have never had to master storage.:D

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :p

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Matt,

I don't think its necessarily bad advice at all! I've used ziplocks on mine when its for "imminent consumption" with no ill effects at all. I have heard all the stories of rancidity and mould but honnestly never had any problems with either,

Things I do suggest (they work for me)

1.) Never pack warm jerky in anything. Cool in the fridge on a plate or bowl for a good 24 hours before packing. Warm stuff in plastic bags will cause condensation

2) If using plastic, get the air out. Either a rolled up proper ziplock or a vacuum pack or mylar (don't think anyone but me uses mylar over here though)

3) trim off all fat

4) dry till its felxible but fibrous

No harm in a placcy bag that I've found but warm, damp and sealed in plastic is always going to cause problems

Red

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Heh all,
well my jerkys done, I think it is a little too dry but Im sure that will only increase its shelf life, tastes good tho!

dscf0027qf1.jpg

Thanks for all the advice! :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE