First ever leatherwork

Nalsheen

Forager
Apr 17, 2010
North West England
Having seen all the lovely work done by forum members I thought I would have a go at something myself.
After some ebaying and a lot of patience, I made a sheath for my knife.

7775144328_065e303716.jpg

7775135588_4f56876acd.jpg

It has a welt to stop the knife cutting the thread and a steel d-ring which Im hoping to use to clip it to my belt. I measured out the stitches using a fork, made the holes by hand using an awl and quickly learned how to do saddle stitch. Accidentally put the loop for the d-ring on the wrong side though.
The knife doesn't quite go all the way into the sheath as I didn't take into account that the hilt is a thicker than the blade and sticks out a bit.

Things I have learned from this project are:
steel needles can snap,
its a lot easier to do saddle stitch if you remember to take two needles with you,
and using a bottle cap as a thimble to protect your thumb is a seriously bad idea.

martsim73

Jul 30, 2012
Wimborne, Dorset
Good work there... I've only got a pair of 'pastie' viking shoes as evidence of my first proper leatherwork. They still need finishing off with some olive oil rubbed into them! :)

IMG_00000041.jpg

Last edited:

Nalsheen

Forager
Apr 17, 2010
North West England
They are indeed Ghost names :D
I think I've already caught the leatherwork bug, I hadn't even got half way through the stitching before I was planning to make a Scandi sheath. Of course, making a mistake with the sizing just means I'll have to make another one just to see if I've learned anything...

martsim73

Jul 30, 2012
Wimborne, Dorset
...and martsim those are a beaut! always wanted to make somer turnshoes but not brave enough![/QUOTE]

Dreadhead, you'd not even break a sweat making these turn shoes from what I've seen you produce in my short time on the forum... ;) Have a go as it is very satisfying. :D

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
ha thought so! knew there were some sneaky fiends on here who have a chainsword in their kit list. and your right you definitly have to keep making more sheaths can never have enough

cheers martsim i may think about making some ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE