First Black & White Landscape

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
This is my first attempt at a black and white landscape it was taken on the same trip to the Lake District as the other photo I posted.
blackandwhitebrotherswater.jpg

Once again I look forward to any comments

Neil

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I quite like the photograph but in my opinion the printing needs some work. I think that it's lacking sky detail (yellow red or orange filter works wonders for this). I've had a wee footer with the contrast etc to give you an idea of what I mean.

But for a first attempt it's really quite good.

3380007766_2e56a38898_o.jpg

I haven't spent a lot of time on the image but if I was going to print it properly I would dodge back the tree's on the left hand side and put in a fake sky with some clouds, maybe also burn in the hills in the background slightly as well.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I quite like the photograph but in my opinion the printing needs some work. I think that it's lacking sky detail (yellow red or orange filter works wonders for this). I've had a wee footer with the contrast etc to give you an idea of what I mean.

But for a first attempt it's really quite good.

3380007766_2e56a38898_o.jpg

I haven't spent a lot of time on the image but if I was going to print it properly I would dodge back the tree's on the left hand side and put in a fake sky with some clouds, maybe also burn in the hills in the background slightly as well.

Alpha_Centaur thank you for your comments I'm still getting the hang of working with photos in photoshop (working with elements 2.0) I used autolevels but other than that the photo is how it was taken.

Neil

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Nodd, try playing with duotone instead of monochrome - it allows you to choose the 'warmth' of the print in the same way as you could by selecting different papers with chemical B&W printing.

Quark

Apr 25, 2007
norway
Nice pic. it's one of those pictures one can stare at for hours and still find new details... I'd like to add a comment on the composition. I feel it's a bit "heavy" -for lack of a better term,- on the right side. also the focal point (by this I mean where the lines of perspective converge, and the eye naturally comes to rests) is dead center, at the end of the low wall/beginning of the distant hill. This creates (for me anyway) an uneven or unbalanced composition. If U imagine that about 1 fifth of the right hand side of the picture got cropped, and also about 1 fifth of the bottom, the tree on the right would become the "main figure" in the pic.

Just my two cent
show us more, please :D
/martin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE