First attempt at a sheath

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Well well well,you guys on this forum never cease to amaze me,i've just recieved a PM from one of you who have commented on my sheath.and have posted out some leather ,thread and needle so i can have a go at making a real sheath .I'M GOBSMACKED and lost for words this has to be the best and most awsome forum ever your all like family thank you all so much for help advice and general friendship
regards trev

MY MISTAKE THE PERSON WHO HAS DONATED THE LEATHER, THREAD AND NEEDLE DID NOT POST ON MY THREAD I'VE JUST CHECKED

Mark my words i will do us proud hopefully with my very first leather sheath .

Last edited:

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
question to the skilled peops on here once you have made your leather sheath how do you finish the edges so they are smooth and rounded .This question is asked as i have no idea how to get a nice finish

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
question to the skilled peops on here once you have made your leather sheath how do you finish the edges so they are smooth and rounded .This question is asked as i have no idea how to get a nice finish
Dampen the leather very slightly and rub it like mad with a piece of smooth wood, bone or even glass - this glazes the leather :)

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Dampen the leather very slightly and rub it like mad with a piece of smooth wood, bone or even glass - this glazes the leather :)
john i've cut out my template in leather for my sheath pre drilled sewing holes how and when do you wet form for knife fit PLEASE HELP i'm stuck as brand new to leather work

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK - I do not do everything the same way as some others do ...
I first cut out the leather following a paper pattern that I will make fresh for each knife.
Then I dampen the leather and apply any decoration (stamps or pressed freehand ) plus a groove for the stitching which I press in using a bent fork - one tang bent down to follow the cut edge of the leather, one , two or three tines bent to mark parallel lines for stitching and /or decoration. I then use a stitch marking wheel (mine is an embroidery tracing wheel with every other tooth removed - 50p from our sewing stall on the market) to mark the stitches positions. I then let the leather dry
Then I glue the sheath together using impact adhesive (if the belt loop is going to be fixed to the back of the sheath I glue drill and sew this before glueing the welt seam) drill the holes and then sew the main seam.
I then wet form the sheath and dry it out in my dehydrator. The edges are then trued, bevelled and glazed. If I am going to dye the leather I do it just before I glaze the edges.
As a final touch I then polish or wax/oil the leather (my own wax/oil mix).
I too am still learning but this works for me and some happy customers.:)
I hope that helps :)

Last edited:

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
OK - I do not do everything the same way as some others do ...
I first cut out the leather following a paper pattern that I will make fresh for each knife.
Then I dampen the leather and apply any decoration (stamps or pressed freehand ) plus a groove for the stitching which I press in using a bent fork - one tang bent down to follow the cut edge of the leather, one , two or three tines bent to mark parallel lines for stitching and /or decoration. I then use a stitch marking wheel (mine is an embroidery tracing wheel with every other tooth removed - 50p from our sewing stall on the market) to mark the stitches positions. I then let the leather dry
Then I glue the sheath together using impact adhesive (if the belt loop is going to be fixed to the back of the sheath I glue drill and sew this before glueing the welt seam) drill the holes and then sew the main seam.
I then wet form the sheath and dry it out in my dehydrator. The edges are then trued, bevelled and glazed. If I am going to dye the leather I do it just before I glaze the edges.
As a final touch I then polish or wax/oil the leather (my own wax/oil mix).
I too am still learning but this works for me and some happy customers.:)
I hope that helps :)

Massive help thanks bud your a star

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE