First Aid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
The Wilderness Medical Society is the world's largest recognised organisation that offers medical training for remote and austere environments. There are plenty of institutes who offer wild med training here in the UK and Ireland.

For international recognition the one to look into is the Australian Registry of EMTs. (AREMT).

EMTs are not recognised here in the UK but they are in Ireland.

Certification and recognition are highly important when looking into medical training. What good is all of that high speed, cool guy, stuff worth if you can not use it on anyone besides your family? With certification with a recognised organisation you can have that support.

I found that out the hard way which is why I raised it. I did have a City and Guilds and the Diploma in Emergency and Primary Health Care off the back of my job and a fair bit of training including BATLS from over here and Advanced Tactical practitioner in the US. But nothing that was recognised to allow me to be a medic on expeditions. For that I had to go the US for a month (To get arguably a lower standard of training) for the Wilderness EMT qualification they all seemed to want. I couldn't find recognised Wilderness EMT training here when I looked so that link is a big plus as, on the whole, I prefer Guiness to the frozen gnats wee they call Beer over there.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There are many reasons to come to Killarney National Park in Ireland for some good training in Remote Medicine. That is definitely number one on the list.

I started the thread just to see what a typical UK bushcrafter wants or needs by way of first aid and to gather a little data for a small project I'm involved in. I realise you want to advertise RemoteMedicine but is wilderness first aid really needed for the majority of us? No disrespect but you've plugged your site enough lol.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
I started the thread just to see what a typical UK bushcrafter wants or needs by way of first aid and to gather a little data for a small project I'm involved in. I realise you want to advertise RemoteMedicine but is wilderness first aid really needed for the majority of us? No disrespect but you've plugged your site enough lol.

I am new here, but it looks like someone else started this thread? As I said I was greatful for the link.

As for who NEEDS first aid, it's a bit like air bags. It's definitely the minority who need it but waiting to find out if you are in that minority leaves it a bit late. Most of the studies are that up to half of trauma injuries that lead to deaths are survivable, trauma is the leading cause of death worldwide and in the UK for persons under 44 (I'm 47 so safe as houses now). First aid might have a part to play and arguably in a rural setting more so. It might be specilalised training is appropriate as, unfortunately, some basic courses are not so great at dealing with major trauma.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I am new here, but it looks like someone else started this thread? As I said I was greatful for the link.

As for who NEEDS first aid, it's a bit like air bags. It's definitely the minority who need it but waiting to find out if you are in that minority leaves it a bit late. Most of the studies are that up to half of trauma injuries that lead to deaths are survivable, trauma is the leading cause of death worldwide and in the UK for persons under 44 (I'm 47 so safe as houses now). First aid might have a part to play and arguably in a rural setting more so. It might be specilalised training is appropriate as, unfortunately, some basic courses are not so great at dealing with major trauma.

Quite right, mine is 'General First Aid' but the chap had still plugged enough, let the thread move on and see what others have to say.

So, what would major trauma be in your opinion?

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
So, what would major trauma be in your opinion?
Like most things there is a definition but injuries which are life threatening or could lead to long term quality of life issues would be my opinion.

For the purpose of this it's only relevant for those which are potentially survivable due to first responder intervention eg to a lesser or greater degree extremity arterial bleeds, compromised airway, chest injuries, pneumothorax, haemothorax, some bleeds, spinal damage, major burns, fractures etc etc. Also where early recognition of the signs and symptoms of other critical injuries could facilitate effective treatment.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE