First Aid!

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Hi

I know this comes up every now and again but a message worth repeating and repeating!

In my lunch break today a man was run down my a motorbike right in front of me!

In September I did the expedition first aid course ran by Wayne and his Forest Knights team, and I'm so glad I did.

Baring in mind the guy was in the middle of a busy interchange, I was able to provide primary first aid, monitor his vitals and keep his air way open. Once the Ambulance was on scene I was able to inform them of my findings clearly and aid them in dealing and loading the casualty into their swanky ambulance!

The casualty had a broken leg, smashed knee, broken nose, and head injury!

This is partly a thank you to Wayne and Forest Knights, from both me and the casualty I'm sure, but also as an Order of the day!

Please, please DO A FIRST AID COURSE! if you've done one some time ago DO A REFRESHER!!!!!

You don't have to be up a mountain to need these skills!

I'm now a little shaken, have some comfort, if that's the right word, that I was able to help, it certainly helped his son that he could see people helping his father and thanks to our wonderful health service and the quick response of the ambulance service I'm sure the casualty will be back on his feet.

Paul

Reactions: Wayne

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Paul well done mate. It makes everything worthwhile reading your post. Thank you for sharing. I am glad the course prepared you for what was obviously a difficult and stressful incident.

Top man.:You_Rock_

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
For those interested, I got back this evening from a First Aid course with Bison Bushcraft. It's not the sexiest thing to spend your money on but as mentioned before, it's probably the best investment you'll ever make in your life to a degree.

I will write up tomorrow a small review of what I made of the course but it was very good indeed and a real eye-opener!

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Cheers for your comments guys. These kind of events focus ones mind and I can't state strongly enough how important and vital these courses are, not just for outdoor types but for everybody.

The thing that really got my goat was when I'd got back to work. A colleague who I'd been at lunch with was singing my praises and I actually heard a fellow first aider say that they wouldn't have helped! ARRRRRRGH. I'm a strong believer in what goes around, comes around!

Wayne if you are considering running more courses, I'd be interested in the next one up, cost permitting.

P

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Well done Paul, you are spot on the button, do a course, and update your skills on a regular basis. Its alright running around full of first aid gear, but practise and use what you know, and NEVER use what you "think" you know, that can lead to grief.

Again, well done mate :You_Rock_

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Great.

I will run another intermediate course for BCUK at a discount in the spring.

Then if people are interested I will run the 5 day advanced explorer first aid course. in the summer. This one is well beyond first aid at work level.

Although you will receive a HSE FAW certificate as part of the course cost. Many employers will fund the course cost.:)

The next BCUK first aid course will be 27th - 29 April 07

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Well done Paul. It's one thing to do the course, but another matter entirely when it comes to having the guts to step forward in a "situation" and become involved with helping someone in need. :You_Rock_

I have done the FAW a few times in the past (Now long expired) and prior to that I did more comprehensive First Aid training when I was working as a Lifeguard. Brushing up on skills learned years ago is never a bad thing and both Sandspec (SWMBO) and I will be looking to do a course this coming year.

When, oh when will "The powers that be" realise that it would be of immesurable help to the whole community if First Aid and Resuscitation were to become a compulsory part of a childs schooling ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE