First Aid Training

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
I'm currently looking into re-doing my first aid training (did it years ago!) and I've been looking at the St John's Livesaver and LifeSaver Plus combined course - a good start I'm sure you'll agree. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on additional training that you might consider essential for bushcrafting and general outdoor pursuits? Fracture care? Handling? AED? I want to try and sort a timeline for getting well trained for pretty much anything (within reason!) that might occur - especially as I want to get my young son out in the woods and hills too.

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
Hi Rich

First of all I'm not familiar with the the content of the 2 St John's courses you mention, however, here are my thoughts..... I should also mention at this point I'm a serving State Registered Paramedic and have spent 6 years with one of the Lake District Mountain Rescue Teams.

First of all, ANY recognised First Aid Qualification has to be a Good Thing. An appreciation of ABC and CPR should be a minimum for all.

I wouldn't make AED training top of my list either, unless you regularly find yourself in an environment with one.

Areas to concentrate on, depending on where you plan to be (the woods 5 mins from home or a mountain environment 4 hours from help) and in what group sizes, alone or with half a dozen others, should be (in no particular order):

* Hypothermia & Hyperthermia managment,

* Bites & stings management, think ticks and low level anaphalaxis responses, not just our friend the wasp & nettle,

* Wound management, cuts & scrapes through to more serious lacerations and injuries from the wonderful amount of sharp things we carry :) ,

* Fracture managment, both with medical kit & improvised kit,

* Burns managment,

* Sprains & strains,

* Basic lifting & handling techniques.

There are plenty of good books out there to help reinforce that knowledge. A personal favourite of mine, depending on how deep you want to go, is "Field Guide to Wilderness Medicine" by Paul S. Auerbach et al. Find it here

Finally, first aid kits. There's been endless threads on this, with many opinions expressed. I'll let you trawl through them and decide what you think's appropriate. I tend to make my own, depending on where I'll be going. I NEVER EVER go anywhere with a knife, axe or saw WITHOUT my EDC FAK. It sits in a very small tupperware type box, the one with the snap locks on the side and it's approx 4" x 3" x 2", in my possibles pouch.

The FAK gets scaled up depending on location and length of trip.

So, to sum up, any FA course from a recognised supplier has to be worth doing. With the basic skills under your belt you can read around the more outdoor / bushcraft specific ones if they're not covered on the course.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to post & I'll do my best to answer them.

HTH

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Excellent! Thanks very much for that. Now, what about good sources of FAK supplies? I find it quite hard to get trauma/pressure pads for heavy bleeds etc..

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
charliefox said:
... I NEVER EVER go anywhere with a knife, axe or saw WITHOUT my EDC FAK. It sits in a very small tupperware type box, the one with the snap locks on the side and it's approx 4" x 3" x 2", in my possibles pouch.

I totally agree! If I have sharp items with me or my kids, it goes in the bag. Just need to make sure I know what I'm doing and that I'm up to speed with current practice.

Thanks again.

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
FAK supplies...

For a large bleed, as previously mentioned, there's the standard NATO FFD, should be around £2 from most suppliers.

For everything else shiney & glittery in the world of FA supplies there's always the ubiquitous S P Services

:)

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
Pretty much agree with everthing wich has been said thus far .Just a couple of extra snippets which might help :)

The last first aid thread was "First aid kit for £20" or something like that , Some interesting points if I remeber correctly ;)

If you google in Wilderness first aid you should get quite a few independant providers. Many will run a course with 6 people or more at your choice of location :cool: , I am not one by the way :p . Must be worth a thought.

A cracking little first aid book is Outdoor first Aid by Robert J Koester. . Pocket size , waterproof and floats :cool: and covers all sorts . American writing but thats not really a problem . :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE