First aid question- field dressings.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
This is something that I discovered recently and may be old news to some. Super glue was invented during the Vietnam conflict specifically to deal with flesh injuries in the field. Today it has warnings over the packaging to stop it being used on skin! ?

Swyn.

Cormac

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2006
S. Ireland
just out of curiosity what sort of injuries do ye expect to find that a small dressing wont doo

it is rair i see an open flailed chest with prortuding guts on a country walk

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

I understand some of the comments about "why the need for a large dressing", but i'd rather keep one on me than not have one when the need arises. They don't take up much room, plus i like the field dressing design with the wrap around bandage over the pad.

Maybe it's a stick with what you know kinda thing. I've used them more than i'd have liked in the past and i know they do the job.

Plus, they make great tinder if needed! :D

Thanks again,

Boosh.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I just recently patched my nephew up on his hand from a good gash due to improper handling of a knife (kids think they know it all!). He had stiches removed, then ripped it open again 2 days later. I patched him up with superglue & strei strips. Worked great! of course, now he'll have a nice little scar, to remind himself to cut AWAY from the body...
In the Army, we used to carry non-scented (actual issue) sanitary napkins in our combat lifesaver bags. You could carry quite a few of them, more than the regular compresses.

BTW, what, exactly, is blue Peter?

For big holes and lots of blood it wont matter what you use the guy IS going to hospital and sterile dressings arnt needed the hospital Will deal with it with antibiotics (note the only place a sterile dressing can be applied and stay sterile is in an operating theatre )
any absorbant pad made from clothes for example will do or any other cloth blankets car seat covers.
secures with anything as well wide bandages are good as they spread an even pressure and have a bit of stretch but gaffer tape ( as mentioned) strips of cloths seat belts cling film . even bayler twine with sticks for pressure spreaders

most important thing with massive injuries is to stop blood loss infection is irrelevent at this point.

ATB

Duncan

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
I've seen sanitary towels mentioned here several times, but what about babies' nappies (daipers)?. Either modern absorbent disposables (Pampers, etc.), or the old-fashioned terry cloth kind: they'd have to be clean, fresh ones, of course. Just something that might be to hand in an emergency.

Burnt Ash

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
I imagine nappies would be useable as they too are made to absorb fluid, plus you have the advantage of them being waterproof from the outside.

The elastic might need snipping first at the crotch bit though.

Boosh.

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
oldsoldier said:
BTW, what, exactly, is blue Peter?
A British television programme for children, famous over here for it's dedication to building things out of sticky backed plastic, yoghurt cartons and cereal packets, probably invented the phrase "here's one i prepared/made earlier" too :D

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
don't forget the double sided sticky tape and the carefully covered over product labels!

A programme single handedly responsible for thousands of kid trying to use half a bottle of washing up liquid per wash cos you needed the bottle for a rocket/tower/god-only-knows what.

The best of all had to be the cookery demos - flour, glass bowl, electric wisk set to full power with afterburners, muppet presenter all on live TV - priceless :lmao:

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
Just want to rewind a bit.
As has been mentioned a few times now, pressure and elevation are the tried and trusted methods for the treatment of wounds. Remember that if you come across a casualty you may not know how much blood they have lost. A nappy can absorb a lot of liquid, as all us fathers know. You need to stop that blood loss ASAP, not soak up what is coming out.
Lots of good advice on this thread but it's not much use without a good first aid course behind you.

Hope this all helps

Rob

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
robadams said:
Lots of good advice on this thread but it's not much use without a good first aid course behind you.

Hope this all helps

Rob

Very true indeed. I've done many first aid courses in the past and although not a nice way to learn, have had enough experience of putting it into practice too.

That said though, keeping refreshed is definately a good thing. I get myself onto a course every year, even if it's just a couple of days at a local recreation centre. There are some that are even free if you have a look about. I have two little girls so i try and get one that covers a fair amount of paediatric first aid too.

The Royal Life Saving Society do a good basic one which gives you a more indepth look at a few water related injuries and after effects. Handy if you are around rivers a lot.

Thanks again for all the replies, as Rob says, some good advice there.

Boosh.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
robadams said:
Just want to rewind a bit.
As has been mentioned a few times now, pressure and elevation are the tried and trusted methods for the treatment of wounds. Remember that if you come across a casualty you may not know how much blood they have lost. A nappy can absorb a lot of liquid, as all us fathers know. You need to stop that blood loss ASAP, not soak up what is coming out.

Hope this all helps

Rob

Sure, the first priority is to stop/minimise the blood loss. But soaking up any blood that has been lost is also desirable. It's not helpful to either the first aider or the patient if the place is swimming with gore. A nappy is a suitable pad with which to apply direct pressure to a wound in order to stop/minimise bleeding. It will also soak up blood that has been lost.

Have to say that I'm ambivalent about first aid courses.

Burnt Ash

good courses should also cover improvised kit

however a lot of modern courses dont cover half want used to be done its all now about stabalising for the 15-20 mins for the ambulance to get there
Which is fine but if your out and about in the hills or woods its worth finding the ones that go a bit further and ensuring a good comms to the outside world/EMS

Obviously the smaller stuff you might not got to Hospital with is where cleaning the wounds and new clean plasters and dressings are needed.

Children are a differnt case and this has been split off by some organisations as a seperate course
personnaly i dont like the new small short basic stuff and much rather do 4 days on everything (but thats just me and how i like to do stuff)

I think i saw on here a bush crafty based course that looks quite good

ATB

Duncan

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
Good point about the bushcraft first aid Duncan, maybe it would be a good idea having a seperate thread somewhere outining a few hints and tips for improvised first aid in the wild?

Boosh.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Around November last I cut my thumb and to be honest, I superglued it, worked fine and saved me a trip to A&E.

ST's work very well, but the bottom line in an emergency is to control blood loss using whatever is available, don't worry too much about infection, if you are dealing with major blood loss your first priority is to stem the flow as best you can with whatever is at hand (and a hand works very well too, yours or the patients)

303 gave the best advise, go and do a course, more than one if possible, and MOST important, practise and update your skills. I shudder when I read of the vast amount of first aid kit some people carry and the lack of skills they have to employ the gear (some of them, not all). Keep your skills basic and simple, or you can become more of a hindrance than a help when it hits the fan.

Just my penny's worth

garbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2006
uk
A thread on advanced first aid tips and tricks might be realy good.
You can carry as much as you like, but the knowledge to use it is more important, tackle wont save a life.
The idea of carrying first aid supplies to treat bullet wounds or bomb blast injuries seems well a little exessive, like the theme of bushcraft seems to be the more you know the less etc, there is no substitute for knowledge in an emergency and you need to prepare that in advance, maybe join the St Johns or some advanced courses or something but not just a disposable diaper

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
garbo said:
A thread on advanced first aid tips and tricks might be realy good.
You can carry as much as you like, but the knowledge to use it is more important, tackle wont save a life.
The idea of carrying first aid supplies to treat bullet wounds or bomb blast injuries seems well a little exessive, like the theme of bushcraft seems to be the more you know the less etc, there is no substitute for knowledge in an emergency and you need to prepare that in advance, maybe join the St Johns or some advanced courses or something but not just a disposable diaper

Spot on Garbo, well said, to be honest, over confident first aiders frighten the s**t out of me

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
A field dressing may be used to treat bullet wounds and similar injuries, but carrying a field dressing is definately not excessive. They are also handy for other injuries too.

Unfortunately many people will find out the hard way when they are in the middle of the woods miles from anywhere and they have to call upon thier couple of quid effort from Boots to patch themselves up, sorry but i'd rather not be in that situation. Half the time you open up a first aid kit that you've never actualy looked through properly and find that the bandages you have are in fact of little use due to thier size.

I've seen axe wounds that would have more need for a field dressing than some bullet wounds, so i would'nt say field dressings were excessive for a bushcrafter.

Once again though, as i said in my opening post, i was after alternative equivalents to field dressings because they are all i have ever used and known.

Also, and it's only my personal opinion, but i'd say i'd be more scared of someone being over confident that they can patch up a would using nothing but what is growing around them instead of having a first aid kit. Thats fine if you are totaly clued up in that area, but potentialy dangerous if you are not.

Knowledge of natural first aid remedies is great, but don't take risks when you can just take a decent first aid kit!

Boosh.

as a First aider you are taught a lot of stuff and use a lot of stuff
which is great

Now step back think of a few more serious injuries

broken Arm

Large knife cut to thigh (femoral artary )

extensive burn to one hand.

hypothermia

broken telescoped Femor

how would you deal with them with a well stocked first aid kit

now how would you deal with them with no first aid kit just with ordinary every day stuff find various items to replace each First aid item

one stage further is to put it in situations where the ordinary stuff maybe limited

Home, car , woods, work etc etc

Duncan

Jan 25, 2007
south coast
Fail to plan? = Plan to fail

Ok, Lots of Good information here. I agree with the points raised that training is important. As long as the training organisation is reputable then enroll.

Remember the basics

Danger,
Airway
Breathing
Circulation.

This is the simple key to all first aid situations. Doing nothing is not an option.
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/Cat/111298?Ref=116989 is a link to some simple but effective commercially available first aid kits. Select the size that suits you, throw out some of the kit and adapt what is left to what suits your experience and activity.
As for a military FFD get one, couple with a crepe bandage as has been suggested and keep this next to your FAK. and a foil space type blanket

All this should sit comfortably in the top flap of even the smallest daysac. (and in my opinion should stay there, you would not leave your knife behind would you? so why leave behind a means to help yourself and others?)

A means to summons help should be included which for the UK means a mobile telphone.

This should allow you to deal effectivly with most common problems.

Remember simply placing your hand over a wound for direct pressure could save a life.

Your aim here is to get the person to the professionals not to avoid a trip to the local A&E.
Gavin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE