Firesteel recommendation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Well, all I can say is that my LMF rod is the softest I own and produces the most sparks - I wipe the striker from base to tip and get a true shower of sparks. The rod itself is now scored and grooved but still has many hundreds (if not thousands) of strikes left in it. It may be that even LMF have different rod products and properties of course.

I also favour the LMF over the others I own. It's the first ferrorod I bought and practiced on, and so is in an appalling state. Unfortunately, like yours, it still has plenty of life left in it!

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Are the Strikefire Firesteels available in the USA? Or, is there a site in the UK that ships to the USA for a reasonable fee?

I would like to pick up a LMF Army as well but, normal sources in the USA are sold out of those unless you are will to pay >$50USD!

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Does anyone have experience with the Bushcraft Store “fat” firesteels? Are they a gimmick or worth paying a bit more for?
I like LMF steels. I have found that the plastic handles fall off almost immediately, however…

Roger

Forager
Sep 7, 2004
Sussex
Are the Strikefire Firesteels available in the USA? Or, is there a site in the UK that ships to the USA for a reasonable fee?

I would like to pick up a LMF Army as well but, normal sources in the USA are sold out of those unless you are will to pay >$50USD!
We ship them worldwide but unfortunately there is no such thing as reasonable shipping costs these days. Postage is what it is and our rates are charged at cost. To be honest with the Strikefires you'd get better value with the shipping ordering more than a single one.

Reactions: sidpost

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
2 Strikefires are the same cost for me as 2 Light My Fire Army firesteels.

Is there anything to recommend one over the other? It looks like the rods come from the same source so, assuming the dimension are the same, they seem to be equivalent to each other.

I'm thinking Strikefire at the moment but, could go either way. There is a German sounding company (überleben ) out of Idaho (USA) on Amazon that I wonder about as well.

Lore

Forager
Dec 19, 2003
Co Meath, Ireland

https://5col.com/products/original-auermetall-firestarter-4-x-37-treibacher-industrie-of-austria
These seem to be well regarded, these are from the same manufacturer as the LMF rods.
Available in USA.

(I have no connection with the seller )

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Once you try Exotac Firerod you won't go back. The whole concept, fit & finish and ergonomics are great. Very goo quality ferrorod. And after the initial expense the replacement rod are less than a tenner.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
https://5col.com/products/original-auermetall-firestarter-4-x-37-treibacher-industrie-of-austria
These seem to be well regarded, these are from the same manufacturer as the LMF rods.
Available in USA.

(I have no connection with the seller )
5Col.com I believe is a sponsor on the USA Bushcrafter site. I have bought a few things there in the past and have gotten good service.

Those rods look like a great value for someone like myself when looking at the common striker rods sold at various places under different names.

4"x 3/8" for a simple rod that is ~$10USD each for a group of six looks like a good value. A little wood knob and some glue should be easy to procure to finish them off.

If I was in the UK, I would be tempted to get a Strikeforce or two as they seem to be pretty similar and not that much more expensive.

Light My Fire has good branding some affinity for me because they were the first good firesteel I found when I was a young boy and back then the brand was not that well known.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
For the cost, you can get a Strikeforce for less, at least in the UK or, a Light My Fire Army model. I would personally want to see one in person before I committed my money. Amazon has good return policies so, I guess that is an option for some.

From what I read on Amazon, it looks like a reasonable option but, at $20USD likely won't get much traction in the marketplace.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Talking about corrosion on these, is it simple rust due to iron content or something else? How "bad" is corrosion for these if not used regularly?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Not sure what corrodes.
If not using it for a while, could coat it in something like nail varnish.

I just carry two, one spare unused (LMF Scout) and one for regular use (LMF Army).

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
They mostly corrode from salty sweat in your pocket or water ingress during storage. Never had a problem with normal conditions in survival tin or desk drawer.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Or leaving them in leather loops on damp/wet leather knife sheaths.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've never had a problem with corrosion, but then again, my ferro rod stays in my firestarting kit with tinders so is always perfectly dry. Never really understood the need to have 'immediate' access to the rod to be honest :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE